cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DS Variable Board - Drag and drop orders

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts -

We create planned orders using the PPDS heuristics and then the planner goes into the DS board to sequence the orders manually.

To try to explain my problem, here is the scenario:

Shift runs from 6 AM to 14:00 PM.

scheduling mode - Infinite Scheduling

planning direction - Forward scheuling

Finite indicator on resource master - not checked

APO version 4.1

1. Run PPDS heuristic, let's say heuristic creates two planned orders. one starts at 10:00 AM and ends at 14:00 PM. The second order starts at 11 AM and ends at 14:00 PM as well. Both the orders are for the same material. However the planners would like to use this same scenario for different materials too.

2. The planner now wants to sequence these two planned orders in the DS board by manually dragging and dropping orders.

The planner moves the first order so as to run from 6 AM to 10 AM. The planner now wants to move the second order so that it starts right after the first one ends...meaning from 10:00:01 AM to 13:00:01 PM.

Moving the second order is tedious and painstaking as when the planner moves the second order, the order does not start RIGHT after the first one. It either overlaps ( or runs into) with the first order if they move too close to the first order since the resource is ifninite( example second order starting 9:50 AM) OR if they do not get it close enough to the first order, the start time is lets say 10:10:00.

I have even changed the resource to FINITE hoping that the overlapping of orders will not occur but the same thing happend even with the finite resource.

I know the planners can right click and specify a time for the second order but trying to find out the end time of each preceding order and then specifying the order start time for every second order is painful.

Is there anyway, the planner can move the second order close to the first one( or onto the first one) and the second order starts exaclty after the first one finishes? Can this be done through any strategy settings ?

Appreciate your help!

Varun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member583456
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

setting the resource to FINITE was the first step of the solution. Now you have to set the strategy in the DS planning board to FINITE, too: Menu Settings -> DS Strategy: Set the scheduleing mode to "Find Slot" and the scheduling direction to "Forward". Now you can drop the second order in a way that its start is somewhere within the time of the first order, say 09:00, now the system will search for a finite slot in forward direction, i.e. the second order will be scheduled right after the first one.

Best regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas -

It worked beautifully. Thanks a lot for your help!

Varun

Answers (0)