Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PPM: Portfolio Item creation via function module or any other technique

former_member386290
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I want to create (and / or modify) a Portfolio Item via a program. I assume that, one possible way of doing it by using the function module /RPM/ITEM_MODIFY to create an item but it I cannot get parameters to this function modules correct and as a result getting error that "Exception occurred in the update of the application object".

Can somebody help me please by giving some example of using ths function module or show some otrher technique?

Best Regards,

ABAPer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Please:

Check out this Forum Tread.

[Document no longer available]

Best regards.

Mariano

Message was edited by: Yael Tal

former_member386290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am on PPM 5.0

I have made progress since my last post and here is updated situation.

I can manually create a Portfolio Item in PPM5.0 and on saving this automatically creates a PS project definition in backend ECC Project System module.

However I want to create a Portfolio Item via a program (which will act as an interface). I assume that, one possible way of doing it by using the function module /RPM/ITEM_MODIFY to create an item. Item is getting created successfuly in PPM system but not in the backgrounf ECC system in Project System (transaction code CJ03). I have set export parameter IS_MODIFY_CONTEXT-CREATE_PSPROJECT = 'X' but still Project Definition is not getting created in backgrounf ECC system in Project System. Any ideas?

I also notice that previous versions of PPM had afacility to check RFC Logs in menu path "RFC log in Cache Administration under Portfolio Management - > Administration" but PPM 5.0 does not have this menu path.Any idea how can I do this in PPM5.0 please?

Thanks

ABAPer

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

ABAP;

Did you test the function to Migrate Portfolio Items?

I check it, and this is a good solution to create Items, maybe you have to see the code inside to view the creation and follow the same coding to call from other programs.

In SPRO -> SAP Portfolio and Project Management -> Portfolio Management -> Utilities -> Transfer Data to SAP Portfolio and Project Management -> "Import from Microsoft Excel to Items".

Best regards.

Mariano

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am also getting the same error as the original post, "Exception occurred in the update of the application object" while using the function module,  /RPM/ITEM_MODIFY.  The post by Mariano Sabiche seems to be the correct one..but the post says, "Document not available".  Any ideas on the forum thread that was posted as the correct reply?

Thanks!

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anjana;

What kind of data you want to update to the Portfolio Item?

Best regards,

Mariano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariano,

We are using /RPM/ITEM_MODIFY with the IV_CHANGE_MODE = 'M' to do a Mass Item detail information change.  Once the Function module is called, it comes back with lv_ec = 4 and error message, "Exception occurred in the update of the application object".  If no error, the Program calls, '/RPM/SAVE_CHANGES'.

Thanks,

Anjana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, wanted to mention that we just upgraded from RPM 4.5 to PPM 5.0.  The Program used to work fine in RPM 4.5, but we started getting the error in the upgraded version.

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Anjana;

I use the same function module to make Portfolio Ítem migration and massive changes in SAP PPM 5.0 and has been worked fine without any error.

Did you change parameters to check?

Also in SAP PPM 5.0 you can make massive changes from Item Portfolio dashboard, maybe this can help you.

Hope you can find the solution.

Best regards,
Mariano.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariano,

Here is how we are calling the function module..

DATA  lt_attributes TYPE /rpm/tt_item_d_api.

CALL FUNCTION '/RPM/ITEM_MODIFY'

EXPORTING

iv_language             = 'EN'

iv_change_mode          = 'M'

iv_short_texts          = lv_short_text

IMPORTING

ev_rc                   = lv_ec

TABLES

it_attributes           = lt_attributes

et_msg                  = lt_msg.

lv_short_text is passed as blanks and lt_attributes has one record with values in its fields.  Please let me know if you see any problems with the parameters that are passed.

Thanks!

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Anjana;

Please check those threads:

1. http://scn.sap.com/thread/2116765
  2. https://scn.sap.com/thread/3181803

Also I will check if it's some OSS Note for this error.

Best regards,

Mariano.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mariano,

Thanks for the links to the threads.  The first thread which states to call /RPM/ITEM_DISPLAY in EDIT mode before calling  /RPM/ITEM_MODIFY resolved the issue.

Thanks,

Anjana

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I'm glad that I can help you!!

Best Regards

Answers (0)