cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autogrow on SQL Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have setted up a new system in which i have initialized 20G of datafile each, now the problem is by default it is on autogrow option.

the data files are filling up very fast and soon it will be over 20G, I have restricted one file from SQL enterprise manager by disabling autogrow options.

As soon as i disabled it, the file from SAP db02 transaction is show the status as yellow traingle, Is this normal?? will it turn red after a while??

I would be very happy to add files manually everytime rather than autogrow option.

Help

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Again the question is what is the threshold value which you have set.

The threshold value needs to be revisited. If in case you have 100 GB space, data growth is 20GB then you can typically set warning level to 80% where in you have 20 GB more space to grow and you have time to take action.

Auto grow avoid the manual intervention and avoid the manual monitoring process.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all you valuable inputs.

0 Kudos

DB02 will show yellow or red indiciators if it finds configuration which is not as recommended by SAP. You should not disable autogrow otherwise you risk database hang if there is not more free space in the database. Also make sure that all datafiles have approximately the same free space, otherwise you risk decreasing performance. The database writes data distributed evenly across all datafiles for performance. If one datafile is full it will write to the other ones, so during read access performance will suffer.