cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR in Phase SHDINST_DB_PREP : NW04 6.40 upgrade to NW04s 7.00

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I'm trying to upgrade from NW04 (6.40) to NW04s SR1 (7.00).

Currently I am at Installation phase of PREPARE.

System Details :

"

Source System

SAP Release : WAS-ABAP 6.40 + BW 3.5

DB Version : Max-DB 7.5 Build 27

OS Version : Suse Linux-9 (Kernel2.6.5.7.244)

Target System

SAP Release : WAS-ABAP 7.00 + BW 7.0

DB Version : Max-DB 7.6 Build 18

OS Version : Suse Linux-9 (Kernel2.6.5.7.244 + Glibc-2.3.3-98.61)

"

I am getting error in the SHDINST_DB_PREP sub-phase of Installation. I have initiated the PREPARE processes(SAPup,(UA)Upgrade Assitant Server, UA-GUI)with the <SID>ADM login. The error that I get is as follows:

ERROR by create user SAPACPSHD (i.e. SAP<SID>SHD)...

The Error log has the following details:->

-

Set environment variable 'DBROOT' to '/sapdb/programs'

> Subprocess starts at 20060802100025

Execute Command : dbmcli -n g8t45 -d ACP -U c -USQL w

Start subprocess as user with uid: acpadm

Execute Session Command : sql_execute SELECT USERNAME FROM DOMAIN.USERS WHERE USERNAME = 'SAPACPSHD'

> Subprocess stops at 20060802100025

Must be called by root or effective user 502 effective group 501 Error! Connection failed to node g8t45 for database ACP: Reading header from pipe:(0:NO ERROR(0)

-

for your information. When I issue the stopsap command with <SID>ADM login then the SAP instance are successfully shut-down but the Max-DB database does not go down and again I get the same error message which is :

"

Must be called by root or effective user 502 effective group 501 Error! Connection failed to node g8t45 for database ACP:

"

Please help me.

Regards,

Premkishan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd really suggest you open a CSS message for this issue, if you've not already done so.

Regarding "Must be called by root or effective user 502 effective group 501". Can you tell me which user/group is 501/502 on your system?

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

Till now I have not opened a CSS message. May be I will need to do this now incase if I do not get some resolution to this.

sdb usr has 501:502

Regards,

Premkishan

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Premkishan,

I'm quite sure you need to perform the upgrade using the 'root' user and not <sid>adm (in your case acpadm). Please review your Upgrade/Migration guide for this.

Regards,

Roland

Message was edited by: Roland Mallmann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

I have been referring the Upgrade guide PDF and it has asked to use <SID>adm user for this process.

Regards,

Prem

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prem,

ok. We've got several possibilities now.

- can you tell me if a simple 'dbmcli' call (from the commandline) works? If yes, you should get a 'dbmcli>' prompt, which you can leave by typing 'exit'

- is the <sid>adm user a member of the 'sdba' group? If not, please change that accordingly and retry.

- what does the command 'sdbverify' show (see note 546737)? If you get errors, please post them.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

1) The dbmclie call(from the commandline) does NOT work.

I again get the same error message as follows:

-

<i>acpadm@g8t45:/usr/sap/ACP/SYS/exe/run> dbmcli

Must be called by root or effective user 502 effective group 501

Error! Connection failed to node (local) for database (no dbname): Reading header from pipe:(0:NO ERROR(0)</i>

-

2) YES, <sid>adm is included in 'sdba' group.

3) sdbverify output is attached in file mysdbverify.

It consists of toomany permission and group changes.

Please go through it and revert back to me .

I am sending the mysdbverify file to your SAP mail Id.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Prem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

Thanks a lot for the information of sdbverify and also for your suggestion for executing SDBINST to restore the Mode and Group changes.

Finally I am able to get not error with the sdbverify .

Now I want to ask you one more thing pertaning to Max-DB.

We have TNS-Listener in Oracle Terminolgy, so do we have something similar to that for Max-DB.

As after issuing startsap from <sid>adm the database is started but I get an error message saying <b><i>" ABAP Database is not available via R3trans"</i></b>.

Hence I am not able to start my SAP Application.

Please help me !

Regards,

Prem

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prem,

hm, I've got no knowledge about the TNS-Listener, so I can't really comment on that yet.

---

Regarding your error message: what does a 'R3trans -d' state? I would be needing the complete output.

Regards,

Roland

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

regarding the TNS-Listener, I did some reading and asked around. On MaxDB side, our Xserver / Vserver fulfills similar functions in general, but not all of them are comparible.

Regarding the R3trans issue, that's still being analyzed.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

thanks a lot for the info and the help.

I have resolved the issue.

The problem was that while connecting to Database SAP was using SAP<SID>SHD(shadow user for database schema) instead of SAP<SID>.

Hence I change the password of SAP<SID> and then set the xuser for <SID>adm and sqd<SID> home using the xuser utility with SAP<SID> as the user .

Regards,

Prem

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prem,

I'm glad the issue is solved.

Feel free to award points!

Regards,

Roland

MichaelTe
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Prem,

I have a similar error on my DB-Instance.

Could you please tell me how you solved the problem with the mode and group changes with SDBINST?

Regards, Michael