Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sizing question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need some help

I've been given the assignment to implement Service Desk in a new system.

I've sized it to approx. 13000 SAPS.

However the architect sized the landscape for only 1(!) system.

I've told them to go for a 2-system at least.

Is there any documentation on:

If you have an x-ammount of SAPS, you need at least a 2-system landscape?

I have to prove we need another system, my word isn't enough

Cheers,

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You mean two system landscape as in DEV-PRD, or two instances of a system? In my view , having two different systems dedicated to different roles does not affect the sizing of a single system, so you probably refer to two instances...

Are you talking about more systems or about more machines/servers?

The information at http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=00200797470000071577&_OBJECT=011000358700004256982005E , the basic Quick Sizer guide, could potentially indicate a processing time per request for the application that would not be acceptable if a single machine is purchased, or perhaps the cost of two smaller machines could justify not getting just one. Other than determining the I/O, CPU, disk and RAM needed for a given usage scenario, I doubt that the quicksizer provides guidelines for how many machines have to be bought. I think it all boils down to cost, and the efficiency of having one or more systems / machines.

Best regards,

Miguel Ariñ

Former Member
0 Kudos

I mean 2 systems as in DEV-PRD

I thought there might be some connection between the amount of SAPS and the urgency of several roles in a landscape...

I know we should use the DEV-PRD scenario, my question is: how do I prove it......

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello David,

I am not quite sure about a document where I have read it, but the general recommendation at SAP is that there should be a three tier system landscape for software logistics reasons, and a two tier system landscape is an OK second option. With a two-tier landscape you may test, develop custom configurations for Service Desk, test corrections, etc...and you also have a fall-back option. And if things get complicated and usage grows a lot I guess you can scrap the dev system and use it to build another instance of the prd system. I mean, there are plenty of advantages to having two or three systems in general in a SAP system landscape , but I am not sure if it would be immediately in sizing...

Best regards,

Miguel Ariñ

Answers (0)