cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family value treshold

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the .ini file there is a parameter in SP06 called Family value treshold. I can not find any documentation on this parameter. When working in the puclisher we get this error several places:

To realize a successful calculation for this family try:

1) Make sure the number of records that define this family in Data Manager is acceptable for presentation building.

2) 'Hide Item Entirely' undesired layout items until a calculation shows.

3) Increase the Family Retrieval Threshold in the ini file for the server mentioned above at the possible expense of performance.

I can see that the family retrieval treshold is set to 30.000 in the .ini file. But what is the consequence of rasining this value? What does it do? Is there any documentation on it, as I can not find it in the reference guides.

Regards

Henning

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have found this documentation as well but I can not find Family Retrieval Treshold that is in the INI file and apparently was put in by the upgrade to SP06.

Unless it should be the same as Value Retrieval Treshold?

Regards

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The MDLS.ini setting of 'Family Retrieval Threshold' controls the data volume limit MDM Layout Server will fetch for a family.

The setting purpose is to limit upfront high volume data fetch by MDLS for performance and memory consumption reasons.

Data volume is calculated by Number of items (meaning, fields and attributes) X Number of records for a family.

If a family's data volume exceed the 'Family Retrieval Threshold' value, an error of

"Family data request (records X items) on MDLS exceeded Family Retrieval Threshold value"

will appear in Presentation Objects pane.

At this point you can either increase the 'Family Retrieval Threshold' value (an MDLS restart is required) or Hide layout items for the family to show normally.

The 'Value Retrieval Threshold' is an MDS.ini setting that controls MDM Server data fetch limit and therefore is unrelated to 'Family Retrieval Threshold' setting.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hedda

Thanks for the information!

Best regards

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hedda

The parameter is also in the MDS.INI file. Will a change in the MDLS.INI file (and a restart of the server of course) then overrule the parameter in the MDS.INI file?

Best regards

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Henning,

The 'Family Retrieval Threshold' is controlled from the MDLS.ini and should be set there.

I need to investigate how come it shows also in MDS.ini and what effect it has there.

Until then, please continue to set it from MDLS.ini and ignore the similar MDS.ini setting.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Henning,

The MDS.ini parameter "Value Retrieval Thresholdu201D is similar to the general (non Publisher) data retrieval calls made on MDS side.

If the requested numberOfRecords x numberOfFields exceeds the threshold then the error RC_MDS_FAMILY_RETRIEVAL_THRESHOLD is returned and the MDS is not punished in massive data retrieval. If this is set to 0 then MDS will try to honor any data request in CatMgrDatabase::GetRecordsForFamily.

The MDS.ini parameter "Family Retrieval Threshold" defaults to 30000.

This information is planned to be added to the MDM 7.1 SP07 version of Console Reference Guide.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hedda

Thanks a lot for the answer. Really helped out!

Regards

Henning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find below link for your reference

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/42/fc006b8adf1a61e10000000a422035/content.htm

Thanks and Regards

Praful.