Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting permissions?

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I haven´t found any hints on setting permissions in Streamwork. Normally when working in a team not everyone is allowed to see, create, edit, delete everything. So is it possible or will it be possible in future releases to set permissions on collections, work items, ...?

If it is not possible yet but planned for the future when will it be released and at which level will it be possible?

Regards

Helmut

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've used for years Basecamp, and there was a great feature to keep some people that can read all items and some that can see just the items not marked as 'private'. I work in fashion, in a project I have collaborating clients and people of the team, and I would like to have just the clients reading items regarding budgets, payments, etc. It would be definitely a very great feature, and quite important.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm a consultant as Helmut and just thought about the same usage. This would be a great tool to exchange ideas and documents with colleagues and customers.

But due to the fact that I work for different companies and on different projects a visibiltiy for defined groups would be great, e.g. all persons for one project are within one group ('project1') and I mark all activities etc.(like a tag 'project1') for that group. Members of the group 'project1' just see items having that tag.

People could be in different groups, so Person1 can see all items of 'Project1' but also the items for 'project5'.

So I can also Tag an item the 'Project1_internal' or 'Project1' and have so the possibiltiy to distingish the information between internal and external project members. that is the Cherry on the cake.

Best regards

Henning

RuedigerMueller
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

So far this is not planned. One requirement that is in the backlog is to have participants who are only allowed to view an activity (and possibly comment on items) but not add or delete items from an activity.

What is your use case? We would be interersted in understanding it and especially how a solution should look like which continues to be easy to use.

Best regards,

Rüdiger

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rüdiger,

I´m a consultant who often works in small and medium projects for customers. I would like to do some basic project planning and documentation via Streamwork (evaluated Google Wave and Collaboration Rooms of Enterprise Portal before, both had some serious drawbacks). So I would like to document times like milestones etc. in a timeline, I would like to gather documentation (PDFs or Google docs, ...) in collections, would like to just quickly write down some project information in the Text item and would like to do some discussions and maybe some decisions as well. Furthermore I have some simple tabular data like availability times of colleagues for which the table work item is suited very well or I will do some brainstorming with MindMeister.

So you see I just need a container into which I can put all the stuff (structured and not structured) thats collected during the project lifetime and the tool has to be simple without thinking an hour about the structure of the perfect excel thats thrown away 2 weeks later cause somebody else has designed a newer and better one or cause it´s so complicated that even the designer doesn´t understand it anymore.

I know that Streamwork wasn´t designed for this but with it´s plugin architecture I thought that more and more plugins would be developed in the future and make Streamwork the perfect tool for my use case.

The only thing I additionally need at the moment are the permissions at least at work item level. In my projects I collaborate with colleagues of my own company but also with people of customers or other external companies. The customers or colleagues from external companies shouldn´t see all our internal informations and discussions and some internal colleagues shouldn´t see the budget discussions with the customer or the daily/hourly rates.

I can imagine the following solution. Add a menu item to the "More Actions" menu to set the permissions for the item. For me and my little teams (mostly 2-5 people) it would be sufficient to define people that have or have no access to this item. Groups would be fine too but not necessary. Sounds not to be too hard work at first glance but keep in mind that protected items shouldn´t also not appear in the feed and notifications. And if I could wish something more it should be possible for everyone to protect a workitem that he created (the work item owner) not just for the Activity owner.

Hope my explanations let you think about implementing this feature.

Best regards

Helmut

robert_horne
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut

I really like your use case. Except for the permissions aspects it seems like StreamWork would be perfect for this.

At the current point in time we have been moving forward thinking that everyone in the activity needed to see everything so they could have access to the same data to help them make a group decision. That is why we don't support that permissions model yet. Its not the first request like this. Thanks for your feedback.

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just added my description as idea to the streamwork feedback and ideas tool.

[Vote|http://feedback.streamwork.com/forums/11095-sap-streamwork/suggestions/1637299-permission-on-work-items?ref=title] for it!!

Regards Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear, Rüdiger

It is exactly the information I'm lookin' for. Could you please explane the possibility of making such a scheme :

- I'm an administrator of Streamwork activity "A". I have all the access to files in this activity.

- All the participant's of this activity are allowed only to VIEW the files, with no access to DOWNLOAD, COPYing etc. buttons.

Is it now possible in current StreamWork functionality?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rüdiger

Is it possible to create in current StreamWork fuctionaly such a scheme:

• I'm an administrator (hoster) of an Activity "Project A". I have an access to all the files I've added to the project.
  • I have invited few person's to the Project A  for which I want to make those files kind of "view only" - so users don't have an access to "Edit Offline", "Download" "More Actions"

Is it possible to limit the right's of project participants only for viewing the files?