Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB ODBC

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry if this is one of those FAQ's, although searching here and reading through all the documentation available didn't give me the answer I was looking for. Can the MaxDB ODBC driver along with say UnixODBC be used to access a MSSQL DB ? From reading I get the impression you can only use it to connect to MaxDB.

We currently use a combination of DB2, MSSQL and MaxDB databases and transfer data between them using flat files. I think I asked about an alternative route some years ago and was just wondering if there are now other solutions available that won't cost an arm and a leg ?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

Nelis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Nelis:

>

> Sorry if this is one of those FAQ's, although searching here and reading through all the documentation available didn't give me the answer I was looking for. Can the MaxDB ODBC driver along with say UnixODBC be used to access a MSSQL DB ? From reading I get the impression you can only use it to connect to MaxDB.

Well... the idea of ODBC is to have a database-independent programming model that allows for implementing database backed applications, working with the ODBC API rather than an actual database implementation, and knowing the "database specific" stuff is done not by your application but by some ODBC driver allowing for accessing your very database system through ODBC. So, indeed, the idea of MaxDB ODBC driver is to connect to MaxDB via ODBC; you will need to have an ODBC driver for MSSQL in order to access this kind of servers through UnixODBC. Please, also have a look at http://www.unixodbc.org/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeTDS , this should be pretty close to what you are looking for....

Cheers,

Kristian

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for clearing that up Kristian, I got a bit confused through reading the documentation.

Nelis

Answers (0)