cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extraction of master data from R3 into BW.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

This is my new SAP BI assignment:

I'm going to use standard SAP InfoOjects (from Business Content) in order to build a new InfoCube (Logistics - MM/SD) with for example standard Characteristics like: 0MATERIAL, 0MATL_GROUP, 0SHIP_TO, 0SOLD_TO, 0SALESORG, 0PROD_HIER, 0CUST_GROUP, 0COMP_CODE... (_Note: NO generic extraction involved_)

My question is, do I need some extra "Process Chain" (Tcode: RSPC) in order to bring all these characteristics and all associated master data/texts, attributes and hierarchies from the R/3 ( source system) into BW, or these data will come with a standard extractor into SAP BW? I mean no extra work is needed for bringing master data from R/3 in to BW?

Another question, Is there any way to know which Characteristics need an extra "Process Chain" (Tcode: RSPC) in order to bring associated master data/texts, attributes and hierarchies from the R/3 ( source system) into BW?

Regards

ASantos

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear ASantos,

Process chains are not used to bring all the characteristics and all associated master data/texts, attributes and hierarchies from the R/3 ( source system) into BW. Process chains are used to schedule the data periodically from R/3 once all the development is done.

If you are trying to load the masterdata of the MM or SD,please find the below steps which are to be followed.

1. All the standard master datasources required for MM or SD to be activated in RSA5 of R/3.

2. Once activated check the same are available in RSA6 or not.

3. Replicate the datasources in BI side.

4. Right click on the replicated DS and create the transformation which take you to Business content screen.(If DS is in 3.5 version,you need select create Transfer rules which takes you to Business content screen)

5. Install the transformation in the Business content.

6. Return to RSA1 and make the IO as Infoprovider by the option 'Insert Char as Infoprovider'.

7. Create the Infopackage on the datasource.

8. Now create the DTP on the Infoobject.

9. Now in RSPC create the process chain for the above process and schedule it immediately to load from R/3.

Thanks & Regards,

Dinakar

Edited by: Dinakar A on Mar 26, 2011 7:00 PM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

1. In SAP R3 system go to the transaction RSA6, find the application component then select the data Source and view the structure of the data source and select all the required fields.

2. As you said no generic data source involve , then create the generic data source using the transaction SBIW, generic data sources have many creation options. view is the simplest.You can create a viewwith all requred fields on the top of different source table fieldsa per your requirement.

3.Now go to the transaction RSA3 the extractor checker ,give name of your ectractor as input and check this data source.

4.go to BW system,transaction RSA1, find the source system then replicate the metadata in the corresponding application component.After replication only the structure of the data source is copied not the actual data.

5. Create InfoPackage, so that the actual data is loaded in the PSA table.

6. Create transformation between the data source and the corresponding data target (InfoProvider - infoobject, cube, DSO). This is done by mapping the source fields with target fields using the appropriate rule type.If there are some update rules in R3 system then you may need to write some field level routines depend on your requirement.

7.Create DTP between the source and target, and execte it .It will load actual data into the target.

8.then more transformation and DTP can be created and executed according to the requirements, like from DSO to cube. Thus the data is available in BW data targets on which query can be generated for reporting.

I don't think you need any process chain for this .this is manual process but loading DTP and all can be automated via creating process chain .

For more guidence you an refer this document:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/40394d9b-93b9-2d10-9f9a-f13118a47...

Hope this will be helpful.

Regards,

Jaya