Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

check in advance which users will be affected by new or changed login param

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Is there any possibility to check in advance which users will be affected by changing the password policies (login paramters)

For example: change login/min_password_lng from 6 to 10 or change login/min_password_specials

Is there any possibility to do something like a test run. Maybe also by using a function group and some custom ABAP coding.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and ideas!

Br,

Frank

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

The user type is more important than the user group in most cases.

There is no simulation possibility, so the best I know is to read the important SAP notes (see FAQ thread) and possibly get some advise from someone who has done this before.

There are MANY dependencies, also with customer z-programs unfortunately.

In a future release there will be the possibility to define params for a group of users which should differ from the global RZ10 ones, but it is not available yet.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

IMO every parameter change has to be tested individually in the TEST system before it can be implmented in Production as it impacts every Dialog users. Even if there is no possiblity of knowing who would be affected in advance at least we can inform the users in advance.

For example if the min password length is changing from 6 to 10, we can let the user community know that this kind of change is coming your way.

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you Julius I have already read the notes but I hoped that maybe in the forum someone has an idea. But it seems to be - as expected - that there is no way to check the effects of a policy change in advance!

@Nishant: You are absolutely right that "

IMO every parameter change has to be tested individually in the TEST system before it can be implmented in Production as it impacts every Dialog users"

But in real life I've never seen a test system where are also all productive users created and mostly the passwords of the users on production and test-systems will differ.

Therefore it seems to be that a detailed analyses in advance is not possible.

As common I will have especially an eye on the communication users.

Br,

Frank

0 Kudos

Change the user types from Communication to SYSTEM to avoid surprises!

Good luck.

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

to me it looks like your question can be transformed into set of different questions like does user have password with length less than x character or does user use special character in his password. Obviously, it's not possible to answer these question because the passwords are hashed and not stored in clear text form..

Cheers