cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle performance issue related to RSUPDTEC program

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am doing a SAP upgrade from Ent. 4.7 to ECC 6. The SAP system is on Solaris10-Oracle platform. I upgraded Oracle from 9.2.0.8 to 10.2.0.5 before I start the upgrade. Quite early in the upgrade process, SAPup triggers a background job to run RSUPDTEC program. This job took 5 1/2 hrs to complete. When I analyze the oracle session in ST04 while the job is still active, I can see this SQL statement being executed:

SELECT

t1.index_name, uniqueness, column_name

FROM

user_ind_columns t1, user_indexes t2

WHERE

t1.index_name = t2.index_name and t1.table_name = :A0

ORDER BY

t1.index_name, column_position#

The oracle session for this SQL request was active throughout the whole runtime of the background job. I have applied note 558197, 1015485, and 1112625, but the program still takes a long time to run. Before the upgrade, I have updated database statistics for oradicts and all tables.

Can anyone advise if I am facing a performance issue with Oracle?

Regards,

Lim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, this is very hard to diagnose correctly from our position. Note 558197 seems to be the one to go for, but it doesn't seem it helped. And you also seem to have the ora dict stats, i hope you did gather them after the upgrade to 10g...

There is one thing i am doing in situations like these:

- create a temporary table for the views and a suitable index in the sapsr3 schema, right before the critical job starts (even possible if it is running already)

- run the job

- drop the temporary table

BUT beware, the problem is:

- we temporary replace the dictionary views with a static copy of the data

- this could screw up your system, because of inconsistencies with the dictionary and the flat table

- you might have no official support, if things go wrong

Thus i am not posting the SQL statements needed, you might be better off trying OSS support.

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael, I have a messeng pending with OSS regarding this issue.

When I executed the sql statement in sqlplus to obtain result for a few tables, the response time was quite ok.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes but the Report is certainly doing the statement for every existing index (>100'000 executions).

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi limws1,

We are facing a similar issue ..Is this issue resolved ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No it is not resolved yet. SAP wanted to remote access our system to see the execution plan. However the execution plan will only appear when the upgrade program is running.