Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to insert a hyperlink in ABAP documentation

Former Member
0 Kudos

In SE38 you can create your own online documentation. I want to insert a hyperlink in this documentation so that when the user clicks the 'I' icon, he can click directly on the hyperlink in the documentation.

In my research I found that when you are editing the documentation, you must choose Insert -> Link. Once I click that, I get a popup asking for the following fields:

Document Class:

"Field based on what Document Class is chosen":

Name in Document:

Does anyone know what I need to fill in those fields?

Thank you,

Brenda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jarryq
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Document Class is the type of object for the documentation your linking to.(e.g. Class, Report, Data Element)

Name in Document is the text that will show in your documentation.(the text that is linked to other documentation)

Hope it helps.

13 REPLIES 13

jarryq
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Document Class is the type of object for the documentation your linking to.(e.g. Class, Report, Data Element)

Name in Document is the text that will show in your documentation.(the text that is linked to other documentation)

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jarry,

So if that's the case, I choose 'Web application' as my Document Class. How do I fill in the fields: Web application and Name in Document? I tried to paste the hyperlink in Web application, but that doesn't work. If I put the hyperlink in Name in Document, then what do I enter in the Web application field?

Brenda

0 Kudos

Hi,

in the web application field, you enter the name of the web application wherein you want create a link to its documentation.

ex. you want to create a link to the documentation of web application ZWEB_APP, you shall fill the field Web Application with 'ZWEB_APP'.

then in Name in Document, you may use any text you want that will link to the documentation you want(ex. ZWEB_APP), this will be the text of your hyperlink(ex. in common websites: home, about us, contact us).

Have a good day.

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brenda,

I feel that your requirement is to enter an URL in your documentation, either linked to the internet or to a network document. Could you give us more precisions, so that we can help you.

The "web application" class you mention, is related to the obsolete MiniApps.

To add the URL functionality, I think you need to do a modification of the standard (please folks, correct me if I'm wrong). The simplest way is to add "URLA" entry to TDCLD table (by copy of "KENO" record) and set DOKEDICL = 'URLA', and adapt lengths from 32 to the value you need (I don't know the maximum). You'll then be able to enter URL like that :

<DS:URLA.http://www.sap.com>SAP</&gt;

Best regards,

sandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

You are absolutely right. I want to add a link to a Solution Manager document.

You say that 'Web Application' is obsolete. How do you know this? Is there documentation somewhere that I haven't been able to find?

Thanks,

Brenda

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brenda,

You are absolutely right. I want to add a link to a Solution Manager document.

Link/hyperlink means just that you click a link in the documentation to go somewhere. But where? Is that a link to a web address, as I assume?

You say that 'Web Application' is obsolete. How do you know this? Is there documentation somewhere that I haven't been able to find?

I looked at the code when you choose an hyperlink of type "Web application" (WA), I think there's nothing behind it. In table TDCLD, "WA" is related to R3TR IAMA, which corresponds to MiniApps. In the SAP library 7.0, we have : "Please note that miniapps are a legacy programming model from SAP Workplace which should no longer be used."

Note that "obsolete" doesn't mean that it should not be used at all, but that there's a new technology that can be used for the same purpose.

Sandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. It works as long as the length of the hyperlink is less than 256 characters. Unfortunately, I am generating a URL to a document in Solution Manager and the length is much longer. See below. (I have removed part of the link for proprietary purposes.) Do you have any other suggestions? Or do you think that it's not possible?

http://mdsxaork0.erp2.test.com:08000/sap/bc/solman/SolmanDocuments/400?_CLASS=SOLARGEN&_LOIO=0696394...;

Once again. Thank you.

Brenda

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brenda,

I'm glad to know it works, up to this limit. In my system, this limit is 60 characters (SAP_BASIS 7.0 SP 13).

I think we can't go beyond this limit, but there's a workaround, used by KENO (URL to SAP library) document class for example.

You link your document class to a function module exit, by entering the function module prefix in TDCLD-DOKEDICL field. Entering a value XXXX means that SAP will call function modules XXXX_OBJECT_TITLE and XXXX_OBJECT_SHOW. I recommend to use KENO as a template.

For example, you can enter the following code in XXXX_OBJECT_SHOW :

data l_url(65535).
  case dokname.
    when 'A1'.
      l_url = 'http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/07/bf5bfa83404c6a9ed9858bcb0d46d1/frameset.htm'.
  endcase.
  if l_url is not initial.
    call function 'CALL_BROWSER'
      exporting
        url                    = l_url
      exceptions
        frontend_not_supported = 1
        frontend_error         = 2
        prog_not_found         = 3
        no_batch               = 4
        unspecified_error      = 5
        others                 = 6.
    if sy-subrc <> 0.
* MESSAGE ID SY-MSGID TYPE SY-MSGTY NUMBER SY-MSGNO
*         WITH SY-MSGV1 SY-MSGV2 SY-MSGV3 SY-MSGV4.
    endif.
  endif.

Then, in your document, you enter :

<DS:XXXX.A1>click me</>

Clicking it will display the SAP library

Of course, instead of hardcoding the values in the function module ("A1"), you will use other means to get the URL from Solution Manager, using a key of 60 characters maximum. This would be another question if you don't know how to get it.

Best regards,

Sandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

Let me tell you what I'm trying to do. When a developer creates a program, he also creates a user guide which is stored in Solution Manager. Instead of copying the contents of the user guide into the program onscreen documentation, I want to insert a link to the Solution Manager document in the documentation. I wanted to do that by generating a URL in SolMan for the document and then hardcoding that link into the documentation.

I understand what you are saying about using the function module, but I'm not sure how I would be able to get the SolMan link. Is it possible?

Brenda

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't see why you couldn't do it. Up to now, everything you said makes sense to me.

If your URL works from your web browser, then it will work by clicking the hyperlink from the program documentation, by first creating the 2 function modules.

In function module XXXX_OBJECT_SHOW (replace XXXX with your own document class, ZSOL for example), instead of A1, maybe you can use the LOIO (in your example: 0696394D0A59C252E10000000AC113C3), which is 32 characters long, to build the URL.

For example :

CONCATENATE 'http://mdsxaork0.erp2.test.com:08000/sap/bc/solman/SolmanDocuments/400?_CLASS=SOLARGEN&_LOIO=' 
dokname
'&LANGUAGE=EN&RELEASE=620&IWB_INDUSTRY=/KWCUST/&TMP_IWB_TRY_OTHER_LANG=X'
'&TMP_IWB_TRY_OTHER_IND=X&TMP_IWB_TASK=PREVIEW2&'
INTO l_url.

and in your documentation :

<DS:XXXX.0696394D0A59C252E10000000AC113C3>SOLMAN documentation</ >

Hope it's clear. Tell me if I missed something.

Sandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much. You have answered my question.

former_member182010
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Brenda,

Here are the steps to create a hyper link. In this example I made a link to transaction code, FB03

1. Go into document in change mode.

2. Make sure your paragraph format is AS.

3. Type in the word you want user to double-click to initiate link (i.e., FB03).

4. After you select INSERT->LINK, select type of link you want in field document class (e.g. Transaction Link).

5. In field beneath Document Class enter an appropriate value (e.g., t-code FB03).

6. Field labeled "Name in Document" should already be filled from step 2.

7. Click green arrow icon.

8. Save your document and exit.

When you display document again, you should see word (FB03) highlighted. If you double-click, then SAP should transfer you to link. In this case it would be transaction FB03.

Kind Regards,

Rae Ellen Woytowiez

tanju_lise3
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sandra and Brenda,

Luckily I found your answer and questions.

It is same my problem.

I attack this documentation. Bu t it is not working .

I will realy appreciate if you help me.

Regards

Tanju