cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP WM - Putaway Strategy to be used

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

The putaway of the stocks into the Storage bins need to meet the below conditions as per requirements gathered from Warehouse:

1.Multiple materials need to be maintained in a Range of Storage Bins.

2.One Storage Bin should hold only one material number at a time.

3.One Storage Bin should hold only one material number and also multiple batches of the same material number.

4.Each Storage Bin should have capacity limit with respect to the material placed into the Bin.

I tried using u201CAddition to existing stocku201D " I " placement strategy:

Using the above strategy Conditions 1, 2 and 4 could be achieved. Condition 3 could not be met.

This strategy allows only one material one batch in a Storage bin with the capacity defined but does not allow multiple batches of the same material to be added to the same bin.

I tried using u201CBulk Storage u201C " B " Placement strategy:

Using the above strategy Conditions 1, 2 and 3 could be achieved. Condition 4 could not be met.

This strategy does not allow the capacity check to be carried out at storage bin level with respect to the material.

As i understand, all the above requirements cannot be met by standard SAP. I need to go for User Exits.

In many of the forums people suggested using User Exit EXIT_SAPLL03A_001. Exit MWMTO003 Own stock placement strategy.

Gurus, let me know :

1.what Putaway Strategy i can use to meet the above Requirements?

2. If User Exit is the way, let me know how to implemnt the same with the right logic or source code. Could see only few parameters could be changed there. Give details of how to use the User Exit.

Thanks

Vijay

Edited by: Vijay D Imadi on Mar 25, 2011 11:44 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijay,

What capacity method are you using? Weight at the bin, Volume by material or are you using SUT and bin footprint?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I am using Capacity Method "3".

The system will check the Maximum Bin Quantity for the particular material in the Material Mater View 2.

I am using this method because the capacity is material specific and the storage bins are used for different materials.

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For your requirement, you have to go with 'BULK' Storage Type with SU Management Active. Activate 'Capacity Check ' at Storage Type level, use Strategy 'Addition to Existing Bin' and set Mixed Storage to 'C'.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Vinod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for your quick response to my query.

If we use Bulk Storage Putaway Strategy, it is not possible to Activate the Capacity check at Storage Type level.

It can be controlled only through Block Definition, which is of no use in current situation.

With Bulk Storage Putaway Strategy if i can achieve capacity check at Bin Level, that will solve my problem.

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anybody help with my issue?

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

quick question: Do you use SU?

If you don't, how are you able to distinguish different batches?

Best Regards,

André Costa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre Costa,

We do not use any Physical SU's.

The materials we use are Bedsheets of different sizes. So it has different Material Codes maintaind in Pieces.

When such material come from the vendor, they are received against a unique batch.

Then they are just mixed with the existing stock of the same material Here there is no way to distinguish between differen batches. And they are not worried about that because there is no Shelf Life for the batches. so they can pick any piece from the Storage Bin.

Hence wanted one material multiple batches to be maintained in the Storage Bin but against a capaciy limit according to the material.

I had proposed to change the receving batch to the one existing in stock. But the business did not agree for that. No change in existing business process.

If User Exit is the only way, how to implement the same. How does it work?

Should i use the existing controls in the Storage Type Definition? (Add to stock, Capaciy , Mixed Storage ...)

Does the User Exit work with Putaway Strategy "I" - Here standard system does not allow multiple batches to be maintained in a single bin. I wanted to change this logic in user exit to allow multiple batches without throwing the error message " Mixed Storage is not allowed in Storage Type"

Thanks

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

without SUM it seems you don't have many options besides the user-exit.

Keep the add to stock, use X for mixed stock, set the capacity check, use I placement strategy, tick the User Exit Act.

I must warn you that's not an easy task to put it working 100%. Good luck!

Any other questions let me know.

Best Regards,

André Costa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay / All;

Our challenge is 100% same as yours and we are looking for the same outputs as you are looking for.

We tried the 'BULK' Storage Type with SU Management Active. Activate 'Capacity Check ' at Storage Type level, use Strategy 'Addition to Existing Bin' and set Mixed Storage to 'C'.

However we faced the following challenges

1. Mixing of batches in the same bin was met only when the bin is manually selected. The auto bin selection gave a new bin number for the same material if the batch was different.

1. System is not automatically selecting a bin with the existing material when a new batch of the same material is added even though the bin has the same material and the bin has spare capacity.

2. The system is not creating an automatic TO.

3. The system is not passing the SUT type for preparation of the TR. The SUT number is to be manually entered.

Can you help us on how to overcome these issues.

Rgds

NS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks

We have used implicit enhancement to overcome a situation in case of putaway strategy ..little similar to the situation explained in this tread.... still its not 100% fool proof:-(

my requirement goes like this..

The putaway of the stocks into the Storage bins need to meet the below conditions as per requirements gathered from Warehouse:

1.Multiple materials need to be maintained in a Range of Storage Bins..

ex:mat M1 : bin B1, mat M2 : bin B2, etc.. meaning fixed bin for every part.

2.One Storage Bin should hold only one material number at a time.

off course it answers in case of fixed bin strategy.

3.One Storage Bin should hold only one material number and also multiple batches of the same material number.

I donot have batch concept here..So I can merge same materials from different GR's into fixed bin with separate SU's.

SU's.. meaning SUM is active.

4.Each Storage Bin should have capacity limit with respect to the material placed into the Bin.

I have used 3 Capacity check for fixed storage type,so system reads from WM2 master data and senses the capacity check..

...looks like Std SAP will not sense capacity check in case if the LE qnty is less than Maximum bin qnty.?????

specific examples..

examples of success case..

1.current stock at bin in 0.GR 300 qnty,LE 50 qnty, and Max 150 qnty for the fixed bin, in this case,system will posted entire 6 palletized qnty( 1 pallet = 50 qnty) into fixed bin though the maximum capacity of bin is 150 in this case.with implicit enhancement, this problem is solved meaning system is checking the cap of the fixed bin and remaining LE's are sent to next storage bin accor to search strategy.

2.GR 3000 qnty,LE 1000 qnty, and Max 2000 qnty for the fixed bin, in this case,system will posted 2 palletized qnty( 1 pallet =1000 qnty) into fixed bin and proposes other storage type bins based on search strategy. std SAP functionality.

3.GR 3000 qnty,LE 1000 qnty, and Max 1000 qnty for the fixed bin, in this case,system will posted 1 palletized qnty( 1 pallet =1000 qnty) into fixed bin and for the rest of the pallets, it proposes other storage type bins based on search strategy. std SAP functionality.

example of failure case..

1. current stock at bin is say 150,next GR is 300 qnty,LE 50 qnty, and Max 150 qnty for the fixed bin, in this case,system will post entire 6 palletized qnty( 1 pallet = 50 qnty) into fixed bin though the maximum capacity of bin is reached 150. in this case.with implicit enhancement fails:-( this problem is still open...

any thoughts on this close this issue..???????

nevertheless, I know using an implicit enhancement is not a good idea becasue std program might overwrite it..

any ideas to overcome this error..?

is there any user exit to code the business scecific capacity check??

tons of thanks in advance..

-Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijay,

Please ignore my response if the issue is already resolved. I am aware that this thread started somewhere in March 2011. However I saw the last response to this thread in August 2011 and hene thought of sharing my views on this.

First of all would like to state that Mixed storage is kind of only On or Off in case of a Non SU Managed storage type. So if you want all your 4 requirements to be satisfied then I suggest to use the following approach:

1. Use Putaway strategy as - L - Next empty bin

2. Activate Mixed storage in storage type

3. Use capacity method as 4. For using this you need to maintain a capacity usage in material master and also total capacity in thebin master. System divides the value in Bin Master by the value in the Material Master to calculate the capacity.

4. Activate user exit - Use the exit - MWMTO003 for determining the destination storage bin.

In the coding you need to make sure that Mixed storage is allowed with limitations meaning only material with different batches is allowed in one bin.

This user exit code may prolong to few hundreds of lines. Please make sure rigourous testing efforts are put in before delivering.

Regards,

Jeetendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

iam also facing same problem, using user exit MWMTO003, how to proceed

pls need information for development, give the details.

Regards,

Suresh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys

If you want the same material to go to the same Bin them why dont you use put away strategy F and assign a bin in the material master at st type level in WM2 and then this material will always go to this bin and as long as mixed storage is allowed the multiple batches can go in to the bin and then you can set which capacity check you required

I dont see why this wont work

I hope that this helps

Frenchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frenchy,

Client requirement one material, one bin and multiple batches and random bin selection not fixed Bin.

Regards,

Suresh.