Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coding mask only numeric without prefix

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Is it possible to create coding mask without prefix and seperator.As I want my coding mask like 00000:XXXXXXXXX

Kindly suggest advantage and dis advantage of the same.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If i have understood your question correctly i guess you want to create a coding mask without maintaining the Project ID. Correct me if am wrong. System won't allow you to create a coding mask without maintaining the Project ID.

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

yes case is exactly as u r explaining

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You want to define cording mask without key for coding??

I havent test this senario.

IF you still han't define (under SPR->Project cording mask->special characters for project ) PL value & created project using it,

u can try by having valie 0(zero) there & try to crate cording mask without PrjID. In our clients those cant be tested since already we have defined values for these.

if you could pls try let us know the results..

advantage of having PrjID code is system validate project code with this value & retun following message if you enter invalid code

-

Project number or WBS number may not be used

Message no. CJ620

Diagnosis

The key you entered for a project definition or WBS element is not valid according to the settings in Customizing.

-

Hope this would clear.

Regards,

SL

former_member214674
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello, how could you set WBS hierarchy by having such coding mask !

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

By naming nomenclature

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

I want to create WBSas per client requirement.Don't want to put any limitation anywhere.Kindly put some valuable words.Actually i m being able to do so.But i m worried about cost posting.and accounting entries.

Edited by: astosh on Mar 25, 2011 8:01 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried creating a coding mask without having a project id in place. System does not allow me to proceed further without maintaining a project id. In my system the 'PL'field is already set with a value '1'. I tried changing it to '0' so that i could test by creating a coding mask without having a project id. But when i enter '0' system asks me to enter a valid value and when i try keeping it blank sytems says 'You cannot enter a smaller value'. This maybe because i already have projects in the system created with the earlier setting.Maybe this field allows you to enter only values from 1 to 5.

I think you will have to define a project id to configure the coding mask. Without a project id system wont allow you to proceed further.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please explain your client requirement? Also explain why you are worried about the cost posting and the accounting entries. I would like to know this since i believe that apart from the objective of having a proper nomenclature coding mask has no effect on the cost postings and accounting entries.

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot gokul, I will also check my system once and get back to u.

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

But gukul my system is allowing me to create Project withour project coding mask also.Can u tell me why it is happening in mine but not in yours.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

under SPR->Project cording mask->special characters for project, EDIT check box switch on, then you cant create project codes without defined mask.

Regards,

SL

Edited by: sam Lesha on Mar 25, 2011 8:28 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no restriction on creating a project without a coding mask. System will allow you to create a project without a coding mask. Although i have defined coding masks system still allows me to create projects without using the coding masks that i have defined because i havent checked the Edit check box in OPSK.

In my system its not allowing me to create a coding mask without having a project id.

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Sam, But can u suggest me the best practice , whether is good to create project without coding mask.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as i know it is not a best practice to create projects without coding mask. In case you are having a simple Enterprise Structure where there is 1:1 assignment its ok if you do not have a coding mask. But if you have an enterprise structure/organization structure where you are dealing with more than one company code etc. its always better to have coding masks defined. Having a coding mask gives a lot of flexiblity when you want to seggregate, analyse or consolidate data for projects having a specific nomenclature based on the coding masks. There are other benefits too. You can refer SAP Help fo this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If projects are created by central team, then its ok to have projects creation without cording mask.

if not need to have well trained & well Discipline users to create projects.

otherwise you might have end up with erroneous project codes, without having any meaning.

Anyway best practice is to define cording mask & stick to it, dont allow user to create projects without cording mask

Regards,

SL

Edited by: sam Lesha on Mar 25, 2011 9:01 AM

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gokul,

I want to create project coding mask like 1026CV04/B1/RC/M25_RAF.Kindly suggest.Initial mast must me like 1026CV04 and seperator after that.Kindly advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean '1026CV04' would be your Project ID and '/B1/RC/M25_RAF' will be the further numbering that you would like to have? Is '1026CV04' going to be constant i.e is it going to be the same across projects?

ashutosh_saraf
Participant
0 Kudos

'1026CV04' would be my Project ID and '/B1/RC/M25_RAF' are the coding for description. But I want like 1026CV04 & then one seperator.It is possible li "1026CV04/XXXXXXXX"

Former Member
0 Kudos

That won't be possible since your Project id contains 8 characters and SAP allows a mximum of 5 characters only. See if you can have some other coding mask which meets your requirement. You can try it by maintaining '1026C' in the project id (if system allows and if this id is going to be used for all projects i.e going to be constant). I can't try it in my system due to some restrictions. In the coding mask you can maintain ''/XXX (first 3 X's for V04)/XX/XX/XXX_XXX' .

Just try this out once and revert.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiiiiii

I agree with Gokul's previous reply of sevaral advantages of maintaining project ID for creation of projects.

One such important use which is of utmost importance if you are working with an enterprise and several company codes, then all projects supposedly belong to a single controlling area and several different company codes.

Note that SAP standard does not have company code as authorization object to restrict access on the project builder based on the company code, in which case it is necessary to segregate the project with project ID's based on the company code.

Hope this of help to you.....

Regards

Kaashif M