cristin_charbonneau
Participant
0 Kudos

Good morning!

I have 3 MICs:

0010 Net Weight

0020 Bag Type

0030 Volume

Volume is a calculated characteristic and the formula is Net Weight / SG (specific gravity).

The problem is the value for specific gravity is dependent on the selected Bag Type. The formula needs to look something like:

C00010 / (If Bag Type = "A" then 1.08 else 1.06)

I'm having trouble using a qualitative characteristic in this way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you need the result for volume in the inspection lot or just in the batch record?

You could use variant config to do the calculation and calculate volume on the batch level.

I.e. You record the bag type and net weight in the inspection lot.

When the data is copied to the batch, a procedure on the batch's general characteristic volume uses the bag type to select the sp. gr. and does the calculation. Variant config procedures can do simple "case" types of statements.

FF

cristin_charbonneau
Participant
0 Kudos

I need the volume calculation for each inspection point in the inspection lot. Each inspection point has a volume criteria and the calculation for volume is dependant on the particular sample's bag type to determine the specific gravity.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think then you'll need to create a custom formula parameter. You develop a Z0 parameter with a simple FM behind it.

You would use Z00020 as your formula value where 20 is the characteristic for bag value. The bag value would be passed to the FM and the FM would pass back the sp. gr. to use.

So your actual formula might be C00010/Z00020.

If you do this I would use a custom Z table to hold the bag values and related sp. gr. values. That way if the bag types or values change you only need to update the Z table, not the FM.

FF

cristin_charbonneau
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks! I've passed this to the programmer.

Cristin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

just a suggestion

make char 20 as quantitative type.

while recording result record it as 1.08/1.06 and in inspection description u can put is as bag type A or other value.