cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI - Java front end ...multiple BW abap back-ends?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

we have a BI java/portal running NW7.01sp6 (portal/BIjava application types). We have used the config wizard to successfully connect to our BW NW7.02 abap back-end in order to run bex, etc.

My question is this:

Is it possible to connect the BI-java portal to multiple BW abap back-ends? Or should we have one BI-java portal for each BW abap back-end?

This may be the wrong forum for this question. If so, please forgive me and point me to the correct one.

Thanks

NICK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There can be multiple BW backend systems connected to portal, but only 1 system can act as a BI master system. I have tried this scenario and it works.

Rgds,

Soujanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Soujanya and experts,

I officially got back word from SAP support on this. For the purpose of running BEX web reports from a bi-java portal to a BW abap back-end.....they say one and only one bi-java portal is to be connected to one BW abap instance.

So they say for bex web reporting, only one BW abap is connected to one bi-java portal. Maybe some consultant can do some federated portal "global" setup to make this work otherwise, but this is the offical word from SAP for our versions we are on. SO i'll go with that.

Thanks for all your suggestings. I'm closing this.

--NICK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nick,

I have heard that you only are able to connect 1 by each one. But I have never tried. Please if I am not correct tell me, because I think this important to know.

Regards,

Judith.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Judith and experts,

I found this note:

Note 919197 - Troubleshooting: More than one master system found

In there it states:

Each SAP Web Application Server Java always has precisely one SAP Web Application Server ABAP, which serves as a BI master system. The metadata for Web items and Data Providers is read from this system, for example, and this is the only system from which you can start Web templates and Enterprise reports.

If you want to display Web templates that originate from more than one SAP Web Application Server ABAP in an SAP Enterprise Portal, for example, you can use the Global Portal technology.

Does anyone have any idea what they mean by "Global Portal technology"? Or should I just bite the bullet and install another BI java portal to go with the ABAP instance.

__NICK