cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netweaver EHP2 upgrade - Oracle user 'SYSTEM' does not work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Currently trying to upgrade a BW system from Netweaver 04 to Netweaver 7 EHP2. I've got the upgrade program running and gone thru' a number of input screens, during the Extraction phase it keeps coming back with "ERROR: SYSTEM password does not work, please reenter. DB specific password. Enter the password for the ORACLE user "SYSTEM"" - but the SYSTEM password is known - I can use SYSTEM user password to log on at SQLplus level. But when I enter this 'correct' password in the upgrade Gui it loops back with a similar message "ERROR: SYSTEM password does not work, please reenter".

I've found a relevant log at o/s level - /usr/sap/<SID>/upg/abap/log/CHKSYSPWD.LOG - looks like it's attempting a brconnect, it contains the following :

BR0301E SQL error -12705 at location db_connect-2, SQL statement:

'CONNECT SYSTEM/********@<SID>'

ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

BR0310E Connect to database instance <SID> failed

I've found threads which suggest unsetting NLS_LANG, which I've done, but still no sucess.

Any ideas

Thanks

Steve

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

We have had a similar problem when upgrading. Check that the instance client version is the same as the Oracle database version.

Russell Burrow

SAP Basis

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have our database installed on a different server than our CI. We received this error because brconnect was not installed in /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run on the CI.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Was the database recently upgraded from Oracle 9 and you have a wrong NLS_* parameter setting?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is any @ character in password. If yes please reset the password with brtools & retry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No - the password is fairly simple, just includes an underscore, we don't use '@' in Oracle passwords (I don't think you can).

I'm curious though that the log mentions :

BR0301E SQL error -12705 at location db_connect-2, SQL statement:

'CONNECT SYSTEM/*******@<SID>'

- It's as if it's expecting a password with '@<SID>' on the end ! ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you restart the upgrade after removing the NLS environment from begining (means logoff & login again and retart the upgarde)