cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxy Vs Adapter usage in an Async Communication

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Just want to get a better clarification on the proxy usage.

The communication is Asynchronous and there is a standard IDOC existing or an IDoc generated from BAPI.

is it advisiable to use Idoc adapter in this case.

OR

I take the proxy approach.

Regards,

Sita K

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My rule of thumb is to use the IDoc standard if

- there is no matter of the order/sequence of the messages

- the IDoc has the complete functionality you need in your process.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The replies should be enough. But if you need further details, you may seach SDN.

Closing the thread.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sita,

SAP always recommends usage of ABAP proxies since WAS 6.4 and above due to the presence of local integration engine which enhances the performance. and hence usage of RFC has diminished over the years.

But in your case you already have a standard Idoc for processing. In this case you need to identify two things:

i) Is the incoming payload huge? - In my personal experience if the interface is for Data migration stuffs for some legacy systems, best is to use proxy since in one single Idoc more than 100 records will result in some issues (i dnt remember the exact error but there will be error). For this you need to trigger an Idoc for each 100 or more data. And during Data Migration there will be huge records.

ii) Whether the processing logic would not be easy to implement.

If you can call the standard BAPI or FM from the server proxy and the data is huge go for proxy else go for IDoc.

Hope this clarifies.

Souvik

Rewards point if helpul.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
The communication is Asynchronous and there is a standard IDOC existing or an IDoc generated from BAPI.
is it advisiable to use Idoc adapter in this case.

OR

I take the proxy approach

If your interface message size is too large and number of messages are going to be high volume, you can think about doing proxy. Since proxy is better in performance than idoc.

PI says optimum message size to handle is upto 5mb.

If the message size is not too big and not high volume and since you have already standard idoc then go for Idoc itself.

Former Member
0 Kudos

if there is std IDOC or BAPI for business case go for IDOC or RFC adapter

if no std available then go for proxy.

check this blog:

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think is better Idoc adapter in this case, specially considering develope time and this make develope easier.

>

> - there is no matter of the order/sequence of the messages

> - the IDoc has the complete functionality you need in your process.

Quote!