cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web service - Support package

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our scenario is based on ECC 6.0 sp12: soon many web service wil be created on that system.

For this purpose an installation of suport package 14 is sufficient (to get not obsole platform)? Instead it is better for us support package above or enhancement package?

we do not know if we will use Composition Environment with ESR and SR.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matteo,

It depends on what web services you'll be creating. Is it going to be custom web services or standard SAP Enterprise Services? If it's custom then there's no reason why SP14 shouldn't work for you.

If it's enterprise services, then you need to do a full investigation in the [ES Workplace|http://esworkplace.sap.com/socoview(bD1lbiZjPTAwMSZkPW1pbg==)/render.asp?sap-unique=123440&sap-params=aWQ9RjZDRkMwRUEzRUYxNEJDOTg0MUM1MjgyNzJFRTg1ODMmcGFja2FnZWlkPURFMDQyNkREOUIwMjQ5RjE5NTE1MDAxQTY0RDNGNDYyJm1vZGU9] for all the possible services (or groups of services) that you may implement. You'll notice when those services became available & what ECC version they were last shipped with. Then you need to work out what works best for you based on your investigation (SP or EhP).

Best Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also don't understand why for new enterprise service need Enhancement Package on ERP (note 1082084) and for other service need package on Composition Environment: where are standard service saved?

In other words, to use enterprise service ECC6.0 SP14 + ESR is not enough?

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Enabling ECC with Enterprise Services is very tedious task and SAP is doing it for you by releasing new Enhancement Packs, so with every Ehp you get set of new services and improved features (for list of services visit here (available in pdf): http://help.sap.com/content/documentation/esoa/docu_esoa_erp.htm)

If you don't want standard SAP services then you can always develop them by your own (but you must adhere to strict SOA governance to avoid SOA chaos). To develop custom build service there are two ways:

- Bottom up: build RFC first and then convert it into services (not recommended)

- Top down: you need ESR to model services and then you can develop those services in ECC.

For your query on another thread:

'check if you are on Ehp3 else only definition of service exist (no actual service exist on ECC), Secondly you can't edit standard provider class from SAP you must create copy of service and then enhance'

I can not do the same thing with ECC sp14 with Composition Environment include ESR?

ESR = Only definition of services (skeleton only)

ECC = Actual implementation of service.

Sometime people can see service in ESR but they wonder why they are not able to use it in ECC, to be able to use them in ECC you must have corresponding Enhancement pack installed on ECC.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

You wrote:

'Bottom up: build RFC first and then convert it into services (not recommended)'

Why inside-out is not recommended?

For custom web service, ESR is usefull only as repository where is more simple searching and analyzing all service used, is rght for you? There are other benefits?

Thanks lot

Best regards

Matteo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Inside out development is ok for few services but it leads to governance issue later on and benefit of SOA will be lost due to complex landscape.

Top down is recommended as it advocate 'design first' and 'then develop' approach. Since service is desgined to cater business need and for this service RFC/FM/BAPI may or may not exist. Since service definition exist in common repository it promotes reusability and avoid duplicate development by developers.

For SOA, technology is NOT an issue but strong governance is, and you will only be able to derive benefits if you put strong governance in place.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read your answer in that thread [SDN|; about impossibility to create Asychronous Consuming Webservice in ECC 6.0 without PI using WS-RM: but with ESR linked to ECC 6.0 sp14 can i define a service as Asychronous so in SOAMANAGER i can see in tab 'detail' 'reliable messaging' set to switch on?

Edited by: matteo vernile on Mar 29, 2011 6:08 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Async service practically non-exist without middleware ( i.e. PI, Tibco, Biztalk etc).

No you can't see async service in SOAMANAGER, you need middleware to configure async service. In SOAMANAGER you can only see Sync services.

WS-RM supports async communication: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/1082dd33-738c-2a10-d8b3-ce07a158e...

Can you tell me exactly what you are looking for? I am unable to pin-point your exact query:

- Do you want to develop custom service and don't want to use PI/ESR ->certainly this is possible but there will be some disadvantage.

- Are you concerned about Ehp? -> Ehp upgrade is useful for customers and usually gives plenty of ready-to-use services with every update.

- You are free to use any middleware but if you want to use SAP SOA (top-down design capability) then you need ESR either with CE or with PI. If you install ESR with CE then you can only model services. No middleware capability will be available.

Regards,

Gourav

Edited by: Gourav Khare on Mar 30, 2011 9:49 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have at this moment just ECC 6.0 (+ BW and CRM but this system in not involved)

Probably we will installed ESR with CE (the license is free for ECC 6.0?) but surely not PI

I'm looking for async service in point to point connection (ECC 6.0 - other sistem as visual studio or other) or, only if is very necessary, using as middleware Webmethods (we are using for other scenario); but I read many docs about WS-RM with netweaver sp14 including Sap note [1147591|https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1147591] that which does not speak about middleware

in this document [Doc|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d06b6392-cde7-2c10-8f8b-bdea5d781dd9] as Applicable Releases for WS-RM is indicated SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SP14

I have I tried to follow the example above about WS-RM but I could not set web service inside-out as async, so i hope to be able to do that in ESR (but in docupedia about [CE 7.1 EHP 1|https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/community/docupedia/nwce71ehp1] i found ws-rm indications only for Java EE 5 Applications which i'm not using)

Thanks lot for your help

Best regards

Matteo

Edited by: matteo vernile on Mar 30, 2011 6:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you need ESR for modelling that's what I was trying to say.

WS-RM will work only with ECC systems (with correct Ehp+SP level) so closely check if you meet pre-requisite. Every ECC system comes with PI addon which is serves as local middleware (or Reliable Messaging layer) which make sure reliance message exchange happen.

I am really doubtful if your WS-RM integration will work with Visual Studio based application but never tried so may be you can have a closer look into this (so far it works only with AS ABAP).

Thanks for Guide. I will try to execute scenario by myself but I am confident that it will work as I do have up-to-date ECC and PI landscape.

I must take my word back, yes indeed you can see Async service in SOAMANAGER.

Regards,

Gourav

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Trevor for your help.

We are still in project phase and especially we haven't still decide the client to use in dialog with Sap

anyway probably most of web service will be custom, but I'm worried reading notes as 1372838 (Web Service Consumer Configuration via WSDL document) or 1135610: I would not even for custom web service is not sufficient sp14.

Best regards

Matteo

Edited by: matteo vernile on Mar 23, 2011 5:50 PM