Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message "Name or password is incorrect (repeat logon)"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts!

Iu2019m having some weird issue regarding sap logon. I'm getting message "Name or password is incorrect (repeat logon)" appears when trying to log on to SAP systems, even when the password is known to be correct. This happens on all non-production systems only and whatever reason, it does not happens on Production. We don't have password expiration set on non-production systems. So, it's been a while I change the password and I know my password. We have multiple systems with different versions of SAP such as ECC 6.0, BW7.1, SCM5.0 and XI7.0 and same message appears on all of them. It also happens on both client 000 and working clients. I tried from some other PC and same issue. So, most likely it's not a PC issue. Once someone reset my password then I'm able to get it but I'm trying to find out what causing this. Any idea what could be the reason? Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check your settings and read the documentation on system profile parameter (RZ11) login/password_downwards_compatibility.

The failed login always returns a generic message which does not provide unsuccessfull callers with any "reasoning" within the system (configuration).

If you prior had the parameter set to 5, then no new hashes would have been formed (field USR02-PASSCODE). If the system profile parameter was set to 0 (zero) without you having logged on in the interim and prompted to change your password, then the old hash (USR02-BCODE) is no longer valid and the new hash does not exist.

Reseting the password forms the new hash.

If you "migrate" an existing system from value 5 to 0, then you need to leave it at 2 for a while and then manually reset or warn the users who have not migrated themselves by logging on.

We don't have password expiration set on non-production systems. So, it's been a while I change the password and I know my password.

Same happens if your user type is SERVICE: because you cheated you get what you asked for...

Note that the parameter is static once set to 0, so I would reset all the DIALOG users passwords in non-PROD and send it to them (you get to know everyone this way...) and if your RFC system users are (still) using passwords then you will need to co-ordinate the change with the connection data in the partner systems (might be a good opportunity to clean up the connections not used as well).

Cheers,

Julius