Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to recover QAS from PRD online backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are refreshing our QAS from PRD.

We have restored the PRD database to QAS, using an online backup.

After that, we created control file and brought the database in mount state.

But, when we trying to recover the database, its giving follwoing error :

ORA-00308: cannot open archived log

'/saparch/RC4/PC4arch1_290393_614926552.dbf'

ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status

HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory

Additional information: 3

Its craving for some redolog file, which has nothing to do with the backup, used for restore.

All the logs, generated during the online backup, have been placed in the respective folder i.e. /saparch/RC4/.

Why is it asking for the someother log file?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you took your original backup, were you already in backup pending mode? If so I believe you have to go all the way back to the log where that happend if you are restoring from those files. I've seen were people have done this in the past when they did not observe their backups ere failing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am closing this thread...

thanks all

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I Agree with some of the comments.

If you check your Online backup and subsequent redolog backup logs you will have a better idea of what is the sequence and if you are missing any of the files.

Then you never answered if it was the first file requested or if its asking for it in the middle of a sequence? as if the file is missing you could restore to the latest available redolog.

In anycase are you using BRRESTORE?... BRRECOVERY us much more user friendly and will list the required redologs for a point in time recovery.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

i have duly placed all the redologs in the archive directory which were generated during the online backup.

But whenever i start recovery, instantly it asks for some random file which is PC4arch1_290393_614926552.dbf

The sequence of redologs generated during the backup is PC4arch1_29069[3-9]_614926552.dbf and they all are present in archiving directory, i have doble checked the backup log, we have the right files in our archiving directory.

I hope the situation is clear now.

Please suggest now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please copy paste the first & last part of the your backup log, using which you have restored the database. Except the actual data file backup information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ultimately we had to take another backup.

But thnks for all your responses.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Chilbul

Kindly consider this as my suggestion always copy the archives generated 10 to 15 minutes before the online backup completed along with archives upto 10 minutes after backup completed.

This should help to recover the database. Also try to recover the database to the point of interest rather till cancelled point so that you actually have proper number of archives needed in palce.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What do you mean by "craving for some redolog file" ?

What is the pattern of of the Redo log files name you have put in the Archive directory ?

Have you checked the online backup log to get the series of the archive logs i.e. first and last and copied all of them ?

Regards,

Sanujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't you first have to perform the recovery and than rename the controlfile?

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Sreenivas : command used is " Recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;"

@Mark : I am unaware of your method of performing system copies, we have done several copies using this method only.

How can you perform recovery, if DB is not in mount state and to bring the database in mount state you have to create controlfile first.

really need suggestions.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I definitely believe that you can able to find "/saparch/RC4/PC4arch1_290393_614926552.dbf" file, was it properly copied to arch directory? (Compare the arch size of generated and copied), is this the first arch file in this recovery?

Regards,

Sreenivas .Y

Former Member
0 Kudos

can I know your recover DB, command in full?

Regards,

Sreenivas .Y