cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SAP PI for data migration from R/3 3.1 to ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ALL,

I have to develop an interfaces for migrating the data from R/3 3.1 to ECC 6.0. so this interface will be scheduled and in sequence, doing couple of transformation while mapping and conversions too. So if we are going to use PI for pushing the data, can you all put on your valuable thoughts what can be pros and cons while using PI for Data Migration.

Thanks,

Lalitkumar.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wilson,

Thanks for such valuable reply.

the whole intention of developing the interfaces is because of some transformation or conversions to be applied without the manual intervention. As you mentioned the interfaces are going to be for one time activity. I guess doing so it can minimize the error while data migration, kindly correct me if i am wrong.

you too mentioned about the others tools available, can you please elaborate on the tools available.

thanks,

Lalitkumar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your inputs.

using idoc to idoc, rfc to idoc or any other way we can achieve this. but my concern is regarding whether is it feasible to use PI 7.11 for the data Migration purpose or not...

Best Regards,

Lalitkumar,

wilsonrsantos
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lalitkumar !

Look, I think that of course is possible to do the load using XI/PI but, I think that this is not the correct tool for this task, XI/PI is an integration broker, used basicly for message exchange between applications, generally transaction originated messages(i.e. a new employee created on SAP HR need to be sent to a legacy system responsible to control access to the company, a change in a material need to be updated in a legacy system of shop floor, etc) not to do data migrations.

Another question is, to use XI/PI to do that, you will probably construct interfaces that, after the migration, will not be used for anything, being discarted, this sound to me as work wastefulness, adding extra work to the migration proccess(the interfaces construction/configuration) that is not mandatory to do that.

Finally, another question to keep in mind is, if I´m not wrong(if nothing has changed about this) the cost of XI/PI license is calculated by the message traffic ammount(in MB, if i´m not wrong again), so a data migration can increase the cost, because of large volume of data, a cost that doesn´t exist if you do the migration using another tools like suggested by another SDN members.

Thank you in advance, and best regards.

Wilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

I assume PI should only be used in this way if there is no automated way of upgrading since the system is so old? Our Basis team goes through upgrades all the time using the SAP upgrade tools and no need for PI. But since your source system is so old maybe you are stuck with getting creative!

From a licensing standpoint I believe SAP draws a distinction between internal SAP to PI to internal SAP traffic versus PI interfaces to 3rd party or external systems.

Best of luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhupesh,

Thanks for replying..

As you mentioned we have IDOC and Proxy for updating the data, so depending on the requirement or performance we can use either of them. For example on the receiver side(ECC 6.0) we can use proxy and call the respective bapi in order to update the following tables.

I wanted to know whether using PI 7.11 for data migration is feasible??

Thanks,

Lalitkumar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think is better to use an idoc to idoc scenario... or an rfc to proxy scenario.

One is better for log (imho), and the another is better for elapsed time...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Even i am looking for similar info. Please share.

Thanks!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

how you are planning to do this data migration from R/3 3.1 to ECC 6.0?

as you have very limited options available with you .. you can do it through IDOC or RFC.. or Flat File and on the other hand you can use Inbound Proxy, RFC, IDOC on ECC 6.0 side..

here is one of the link which will show you some problem which you may face and solution for the same..

Thanks,

Bhupesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ALL,

Still the thread is unanswered, Kindly update this with your valuable thoughts.

thanks,

Lalitkumar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

please share your thoughts on the above mentioned query...

thanks,

Lalitkumar.