cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canonical mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is Canonical Mapping means? (I looked into Google, but I didnot understand the concept). Guru's Please explain me in simple Terms.

Appreciated

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

you can support that with using a sequence of message mappings within an Interface mapping. with that you could canonicalize your message mappings, where you map from legacy to canonical model and from canonical to other legacy model. your interface mapping however would always be point to point, including a sequence of mappings to and from canonical model.

Canonical mapping in Postfix is used for modifying mail in the incoming queue, and it alters both the message headers and the message envelope information for local or remote mail. This mapping can be useful to replace login names with Firstname.Lastname style addresses, or to clean up odd addresses produced by legacy mail systems.

Canonical mappings may seem, on the surface, to be similar to aliases or virtual domains. However, they are quite distinct and are useful for other purposes. While aliases merely make a decision about which user will receive an email, and virtual domains only impact the envelope address, the canonical mapping alters both the envelope address and the SMTP header address. This change can be used to make mail appear to come from a different user or domain, or direct mail to a different user or domain by changing the adrress on the message.

For example, if I have a number of local subdomains, but would like all mail to appear to originate from a single domain, it is possible to create a canonical mapping to make the translations. In the Edit a Map page, the Name will be a subdomain that is to be mapped to the domain, such as @lab.swelltech.com. The Mapts to... value will simply be the domain I'd like this subdomain converted to, @swelltech.com. After saving the mapping and applying changes, all outgoing mail from lab.swelltech.com will appear to originate from swelltech.com.

The canonical mapping is not to be confused with virtual domain support. Use the virtual domain map for that purpose.

The canonical mapping is not to be confused with local aliasing. Use the mail aliases map for that purpose.

The format of the canonical mappings is as follows, mappings being tried in the order as listed:

• user@domain mapped to... address:

user@domain is replaced by address This form has the highest precedence. This form useful to clean up addresses produced by legacy mail systems. It can also be used to produce Firstname.Lastname style addresses, but see below for a simpler solution.

• user mapped to...address:

user@site is replaced by address when site is equal to $myorigin, when site is listed in $mydestination, or when it is listed in $inet_interfaces. This form is useful for replacing login names by Firstname.Lastname.

• @domain mapped to...address:

Every address in domain is replaced by address. This form has the lowest precedence.

In all the above forms, when address has the form @otherdomain, the result is the same user in otherdomain.

Regards,

Abhy

Message was edited by: Abhy Thomas

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Where did you get the term 'Canonical Mapping' from?

It is not an XI term.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

True Stefan, couple of days back in a meeting my team members were talking about this Term and I was confused and I raised what is a Canonical Mapping means? No one has explained me in the way I can understand. So I was Lost completely.

Searched Canonical Mapping in XI and I couldnt locate that , as you said.

Thanks.