cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3copy from Win 2003 32-bit to WIn 2003 64- bit

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

We need to know if it's possible to perform the R3Copy procedure (homogeneous database copy) for Oracle 10g, with a source system on Win 2003 32-bit and the target system on Win 2003 64-bit.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done exactly this successfully with both 10g and 9i on R3 and BW. We tried the R3load method but it was buggy and didn't work. It wasted a lot of our time trying. Maybe now the procedure and tools are more stable but at the time it was a fresh OSS Note. We accomplished the migrations by simply copying the db to the 64bit box and running urlrpi.sql. There are other steps and scripts to perform as well, for example recreating the controlfile on 64bit, but the complete procedure for 64bit migration is well described in Oracle's platform migration guide. The conversion scripts and recompilation ran in under 30mins. Then of course SGEN which on the 64bit box ran amazingly fast.

Go get that platform guide from Oracle, the 64bit migration is very straightforward.

Oh, and yeah...the procedure we used was the one you are proposing:

- install a new BW/R3 64bit/10g on the new 64bit box

- upgrade BW/R3 on the 32bit box, followed by 10g upgrade

- manual copy (actually SAN copy) to 64bit box

- do the Oracle migration

- start her up

Of course there are little gotchas like hostname and environment settings, etc but from your posts you seem to be able to tackle all that.

Good luck!

Message was edited by: Jason Schweitzer

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

But this procedure is recognized by Sap ?

I mean there is the risk in the future if we open Oss msg for Oracle problem, (like performances or other strange behaviour) Sap reject the message as migration procedure used was not the R3load method

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure who Mark is...but if you meant me....we were under a different situation than you perhaps. the OSS Note covering the R3load procedure was published in the middle of our upgrades. We had already upgraded DEV and a sandbox thinking that SAP didn't have a procedure for migration (mgmnt was pushing hard with project deadlines so we had to do something). We did try the procedure though, twice, but there were obvious bugs and missing info. Because we were under such a time crunch we went ahead with the Oracle method. To truly know if it would cause issues with support in teh future I think you'll need to open an OSS Message. Hopefully they won't blow you off at first-level support. If you look behind the scense of that proceudre though it's running the same scripts just in a bundled fashion.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done exactly this previously without any issues.

Regards,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do this using the database copy procedure for Oracle (using db tools - rather than R3load). Oracle Metalink contains a procedure doing the 32bit-64bit migration after the copy.

Regards,

Jason

former_member189501
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks.

BUt this metalink procedure is recognized by Sap ? .

I found note 192822, at point 5 seems to says that is possible to copy the db from 32-bit to 64-bit.

If so it's possible for example, to upgrade the oracle to 10g on Windows 2000 32-bit, then to copy it to Windows 2003 64-bit just executing the two script after the start db on the new platform.

What do you think ?