cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create standby controlfile from restored backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Techies,

I am re-building one of my DR server, Source and target DB is oracle 10g.

I have taken the source backup which is going to be restored on target, But I forgot to take a standby controlfile from source DB at the time (Pre/Post) backup.

Now the issue is I can create a standby controlfile on primary and copy the same to target, But so many datafiles are added after the backup which I have taken to restore and medias are already shipped.

I can send the other set of backup to DR site, but it takes a week time and I don't want to do that If I can regenerate it.

So any clue to create standby controlfile on target with restored datafiles?

Regards,

Nick Loy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

I am using BRTOOLS for backup (Using HP Data protector).

As per your suggestion, I can create new controlfile from source and I can delete. But my worry is I need a standby controlfile to mount the DB in standby mode.

I tried to edit standby controlfile (May not be usefull), Is it a good idea to edit standby controlfile and mount the DB with that.

Regards,

Nick Loy

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am using BRTOOLS for backup (Using HP Data protector).

Hmm... brbackup automatically backs up the control file as well with every backup and with every structural change.

So, I really wonder how you managed not to have one...

> As per your suggestion, I can create new controlfile from source and I can delete. But my worry is I need a standby controlfile to mount the DB in standby mode.

So what?

You can run the (edited) script for creating the control file on the standby site in nomount state and it will create the control files for you.

> I tried to edit standby controlfile (May not be usefull), Is it a good idea to edit standby controlfile and mount the DB with that.

Why not?

regards,

Lars

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm... sounds like you perform this in a rather manual fashion...

Do you use RMAN for taking the backups?

Or maybe the BR*TOOLS?

With these tools you are usually safe from such mistakes - I can only recommend to use them!

However, since you don't have a control file at all on the target side, the only thing left to do would be to

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE NORESETLOGS;

on the primary side and manually remove the files that have been added since you took the backup from the control file script,

Afterwards you use the script on the standby side to create the control files.

regards,

Lars