cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide Asynchornous Webservice from Function Module

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I need to create a webservice to provide master data. My scenario do not use Process Integration, so I create the webservice from function module (Remote-Enable Module) through SE80.

When service is created I can see in the configuration tag that is not possible to change to asynchronous mode.

I want to create asynchronous webservice because I need to return master data. Selecting this data consume a lot of time, so in order to avoid timeouts I think is better to create asynchronous webservice.

May be I am wrong but I think is not possible to create async webservice without PI.

All documents I have read until now show async comunication through PI and using proxy clients but I have not found the case I am talking.

Thanks

Reagards

Edited by: jordis on Mar 17, 2011 4:45 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you write Function Module(BAPI) it always work as sync mode,if you are using PI then you can control that as Async,but without PI not possible.

So alternative is write proxy program and make it as a web service.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raja,

I think I'm confusing about synchronous / asynchronous concept in webservices. I need an example or an explanation where I can understand it. Taking account that I do not have PI, where scenario I'm moving in?

I mean, is it possible that an external client calls my webservice created through FM in async mode? Maybe is the client who has to create the corresponding call to the webservice in async mode and I have to do anything.

Another question related, what does it means the propierty sync/async in a proxy?

I do not understand your sugestion since I think that proxy creaton is relevant in case of the connecting SAP with an external system (I tried it and I have to inform an URL o WSDL).

All documents I have readed have been in the context of PI and I think my case is more simply.

Any more suggestions, links or ideas?

Thanks

Regards

Edited by: jordis on Mar 18, 2011 12:41 PM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When calling a webservice, what determines if the call is synchronous or not, is the client not the server.

I've used webservices as in your scenario, both synchronous and asynchronous, and the service doesn't change in SAP.

If you're using Visual Studio (as an example) you just have to make sure that you check the "Generate Asynchronous methods" (inside Visual Studio just to emphasize this).

In iOS (Xcode) I just create my proxies manually and always call the services asynchronously without doing anything in SAP. The control is in the client code.