cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tnsnames.ora in /sapmnt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anyone know why SAP decided to put a copy of tnsnames.ora and sql.ora in the /sapmnt file structure. I know it's been there for a while, but it's only caused me a problem recently and that has made me question it's existence. If you decide to change the name of your listener to LISTENER_<SID> then it's somewhere else to forget and cause you bother.

Regards,

Paul Richarsdon

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well the tnsnames.ora (and sqlnet.ora) is a client file, it tells the client where his database is. And the client is in this case the SAP application server, so the profile directory would be the right place to put it. This makes the administration easier, as this directory is shared among all application servers.

We started linking the original tnsnames in ORACLE_HOME to the sapmnt location, so inconsistencies can be avoided and you don't have to maintain the file in two locations. So only the listener.ora stays in the ORACLE_HOME path.

orasid> ll /oracle/SID/102_64/network/admin/*ora
-rw-r--r--   1 orasid     dba            857 Oct 13 10:22 /oracle/SID/102_64/network/admin/listener.ora
lrwxr-xr-x   1 orasid     dba             37 Oct 16 22:31 /oracle/SID/102_64/network/admin/sqlnet.ora -> /sapmnt/SID/profile/oracle/sqlnet.ora
lrwxr-xr-x   1 orasid     dba             39 Oct 16 22:31 /oracle/SID/102_64/network/admin/tnsnames.ora -> /sapmnt/SID/profile/oracle/tnsnames.ora

Cheers Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Paul,

I think its there for the SIDADM to configure DBACOCKPIT.Not sure about the usage though.