Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI 7..00 - Buildspace - Runtime system issues

former_member188073
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

With reference to the thread , I am reopening this.

I was wrong in understanding and the difficulties of changing the systems. But my client is ardent on

changing the systems.

I understand that ideally the runtime systems cannot be changed. After I tried they would get saved till I am on the SLD view. As soon as I move out of it, the hostname changes and rest remain same.

Now my track is corrupt. I was able to repair the Develpment buildspace so that developers are yet able to work. but the consolidation is still broken.

I desperately need to either create a new track with the changed runtime systems or restore the same track with changed systems.

Kindly suggest on both and provide me some standard methods suggested by SAP.

Regards,

Varun Biswas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member188073
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Kudos SAPians,

Special thanks shreyas...

Note 1024338 worked. Dunno y things start working for me right after i raisd an OSS message.

I'll though be back with lot of issues. This is just the beginning of my endeavour in DI....

Regards,

Varun

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Please understand the concept of runtime system first.

1) When you define runtime systems for your track, it literally means that you are defining path on how the JOURNEY of your project source code modification will take place.

2) So, if you have defined DEV & QA as runtime systems, so far so good.

3) now, please understand that Consolidation is not a separate runtime system running on a different host.

4) The Development RTS and Consolidation RTS are on the same host (Development Server host), these are just 2 compartments or you can say 2 different workspaces through which you source code modifications take their journey.

5) But, the QA runtime system is altogether on a different Host, which is your TEST system, where your conduct the UAT (User Acceptance Test).

6) If you have successfully imported your activities into Consolidation Tab of your track then, still your changes are not transported any further from there.

7) To carry forward your changes to the QA runtime system, first you need to perform the "Assembly" step in the assembly tab.

😎 Assembling the Components means that all your changes (specific to activities that you had created and that were also imported into consolidation tab) will now be accumulated into a single entity known as Software Component Archive (.SCA file)

9) Now this very .SCA which is formed as a result of assembly operation is carried forward to the next runtime system, in your case it is the QA runtime system.

10) you have multiple ways of transporting this .SCA to QA runtime system, via CTS-Upload system or via directly defining the Deployment information (like Deploy Host, Port Number, User ID and Password of your QA runtime system) in TEST tab of your track it depends what technology is used in your landscape.

Changing the Runtime system does not affect your development and consolidation build spaces at all

I hope you'll get a clear picture now, please revert in case of any further clarification.

former_member188073
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks you Shreyas,

You have created all my doubts.

But as per the discussion runtime systems can be changed, and in my case it is not allowing me to save the changed data.

As soon as I changed it the first time, it asked me to save and restor, which I did just find DCs in both the buildspaces to be broken. Thanks to this category of threads, I could solve the broken DCs on Dev buildspace but the ones in Cons are still broken (even after restore state and push gain)

Whenever I try to move out of the Landscape Configuration tab, it gives me a Save option, but after returning back here from another tab the changes get lost!!!! Only the passwords and J2ee engine credentials remain same; the hostname changes back to the previous ones.

I am now planning to keep the hostnames of the systems same and refresh both QA and dev together on one day from production. I think this is the only way I can refresh the whole landscape now.

Regards,

varun

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

I am glad to know that my inputs helped you.

Now, you have mentioned that Development Build space is consistent but consolidation build space is still broken.

This could be because of following reasons.

1) There are pending activities to be released from the Transport view of NWDS.

2) or you have released your activities from NWDS but forgot to import them into the Consolidation Tab, in CMS web UI for your track.

About the track data not being saved...

Can you please describe me the step-by-step operation that you are performing.

Please let me know how many run-time systems have you defined in your track?

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

former_member188073
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Shreyas,

Yes, the track is alive. I mean developers are still developing on the DTR DCs.

Since our track was corrupt, we initiated direct deployment on the servers till the track gets repaired. So there are unreleased activities on the developer studio. Also we have asked to make and release activities in the track even though we are not using it so as to minimize the difference between production and DTR

So now, how should I proceed? I guess I have asked the developers to discard/release all activities from all studios. But that can be difficult, because the enhancements are in a live stage now.

Regarding the saving of runtime systems:

1) NWDI -> CMS -> Landscape Configurator -> Runtime systems

2) Maintain the new DEV and QA details (also re-entered substitution values and saved); passwords and users are correct.

3) I click on save (Initially it asked to save and restore which I did. Now it never asks for restore but only save). After saving when I try to move out of it, there is another pop-up with three buttons of save, cancel and continue (cancel navigation). I save here as well.

4) Next Time around when I am back at landscape configurator I find the user credentials are same (looking at the character lengths) but the hostnames havenu2019t changed.

5) Also apologizes for an error which pops out, which I had not observed earlier u2013 u201CUnexpected error; inform your system administrator: communication error: connection/authorization problem to host http://old_dev_hostname:50000 user: administratoru201D. This is what is stopping me from changing my runtime systems.

Also I found this thread as well

Also found this Note 1024338 - Track changes not possible if runtime system not available. guess have to open things up to SAP.

Tried this as well, . Doesnu2019t work!!!

Regards,

Varun Biswas

Edited by: Varun Biswas on Mar 22, 2011 10:34 AM

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought the RTS can be changed on the fly.

i think it has nothing to do with your corrupt track.