Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Copy (MSSQL) between two SAP systems with different level and Components

hanse_atik2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have a SAP system release mysap 2004 SR1 and for "the upgrade project to SAP ECC 6.0 " we installed a new mysap 2004 in a new hardware (sap03) where we have also solution manager running. The new installed Mysap 2004 SR1 is alos running fine in the new hardware.

Now we would like to do DB copy from the old system (sap02) to the the new system sap03 and then we will do the upgrade to SAP ECC 6.0.

After I compared the two systems I have following questions:

1) there are 4 Software Components which are not in the new system (sap03). This are:

PI

FIN_BLERP

BP_INSTRASS

Is this necesary for the DB copy or we do not need this to be able to do the DB copy?

2) The Software Components Level is not the same. Should we have the same level to do the DB Copy?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

HanseAtik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are doing a clone just make sure the DB version is the same in both source and target system

SAP Components / Patches will be overwriten when the Clone is done so no need to worry about those.

Regards

Juan

hanse_atik2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have no experience on cloning a MSSQL DB but I have done many Oracle DB Copy. But if it is possible why not?

I think in this case its not possible. The old system is 32bit but the new one is 64 bit.

Now I have two systems. The old one sap02 is 32bit and the new one sap03 is 64 bit.

What I am thinking to do is:

1) delete the sapdata on the target system

2) copy the sapdata from the source to the target

Do you think it is better to do clone? Have you any description to do this?

Thanks in advance

HanseAtik

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why don't you do a Homogeneous system copy?... you'll find all the info you need on the System Copy guides.

I think you are complicating things unnecesarely. make your life easy and do an export of your current sap02 and import in sap03 following the well documented procedure.

Regards

Juan

hanse_atik2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you meant to export the DB of sap02 and import this into sap03 then this is a good idea and I will do this.

But if you mean to export the all system sap02 and import it on sap03 then this will not work because sap02 is 32 bit and sap03 is 64 bit.

I think I have to do a homogenouse system copy.

Best regard

HanseAtik

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you meant to export the DB of sap02 and import this into sap03 then this is a good idea and I will do this.

Sure I'm talking about a DB export/import, follow the Homogeneous system copy guide.

I think I have to do a homogenouse system copy.

Indeed

Regards

Juan

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

when you are using SQL Server (what I assume, as you post in this forum) you can

- attach/restore a database from a 32bit version to a 64bit version of the same SQL Server release and vice versa

- attach/restore a database to the next version of SQL Server (32 or 64 bit). THERE IS NO WAY BACK, once you have done this.

e.g. if you are using SQL 2000 32bit you can attach the DB to SQL 2005 64bit (or 32bit) and it will converted into the new format. Keep in mind, that there are several prerequisites for an DB upgrade (e.g. Collation change, not 60027).

Best regards

Clas

hanse_atik2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juan, hi Clas,

just to be clear and to not stuck on the the way:

The systems are as follow:

1) the source system:

- Windows Server 2003,

- MSSQL Server 2005 with 32 bit.

- Mysap 2004 SR1

2) Target system:

- Windows Server 2003

- MSSQL Server 2005, with 64 bit.

- Mysap 2004 SR1 (with less Support package level and no PI, FIN_Basis, BP_BLERP and BP_INTASS coponents)

I hope this will work. could you post the link the DB Copy guide we are talking about?

By this way we will be sure that we are talking about the same DB Copy. Otherwise any mistake in this step will cost more work and time.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

HanseAtik

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this copy will work with the detach/attach method. The mismatch in the Support Package level and components does not matter, as all information is in the database. The old state in the target system will be overwritten when you use the database from the source.

The note 151603 describes the steps to do a system copy with detach/attach (or backup/restore) and the necessary steps after the copy (Section 8).

Best regards

Clas

Answers (0)