cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up CM Services in CE 7.2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am wondering how I can set up a Development Configuration through CM Services instead of CMS in CE 7.2 as this is the suggested way by SAP.

I do not use CTS or CTS+ because the NWDI will be used for local/standalone development. The problem is when I import the Development Configuration in NWDS and try to create a DC all DC types are deactivated.

I worked through the article in SAP Help ([SAP Help - CM Services|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw72/helpdata/en/84/1fabea09f048c69b48d8e08de38c95/frameset.htm]) and also SAP Note 1463541, but nothing helped.

Any other ideas?

Best regards

Denis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Denis,

First let me give you some basic clarity on Transport of NON-ABAB objects using Change and Transport System (CTS).

A standard way of doing transport is done via the Transport Request creation in CTS.

This transport request creation facility is only available in ABAP systems.

In Java system we can't create any transport requests.

So, if any organization has adapted to a common transport policy like for any types of objects, let it be Java or ABAP then, any transport that will be taking place across the Development >> Quality >> Production landscape will be channelised through a single Change and transport system.

In all the ABAP systems the facility of creating a Transport Request is availble.

But, in case of Java we need to dedicate one ABAP system like Solution Manager for creating transport request on behalf of that Java system.

And all the Java-Objects that are ready for transporting to QA are then attached to this Transport Request that gets created in that dedicated CTS system.

About your 2nd Query about DC types shown as deactivated...

Plese check the developers ID with which yiu are logged in to studio is assigned with NWDi.Developer UME role and NWDI.Developer UME group.

Your track SC is missing the build time dependencies.

Kindly follow the below mentioned steps to resolve the issue...

1) Open the following URL to access NWDI web interface

www.http://<hostname>:<port number>/devinf

2) goto Change Management Services

3) Open System Landscape Directory

4) Click on Software Components

5) Here in the Filter give your Software Component name

6) after the serach is over select your SC in the table and the below displayed tabs goto Dependencies.

7) in the Context dropdown chose "BuildTime"

😎 click on "Define Prerequisite Software Component Versions"

7) In the Name column of the table search for the SC dependencies that are required one by one (e.g. SAP-JEE, SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS) and add it as a dependencies.

For Example: for developing webdynpro application you will need to add WD-RUNTIME component too, as a build time dependency

😎 once you are done with this, go back to the 2nd step mentioned above.

9) Goto the Landscape Configurator link.

10) Chose your track inside the table on the left side.

11) goto the Domain Data option, Click on the "Change" button, and then click on "Update CMS" button (This may take some time)

12) once the CMS Update is finished, open the "Track Data" link that is beside "Domain Data"

13) Now click on the "Change" button, from the software component (SCs) table remove the track SC, and add it back once again.

14) Save the Track Data, while saving plese choose "Save & Re-import button.

15) Now goto Transport Studio, make sure your track is selected in the table

16) In the Check-In Tab select all the components displayed in the "Check-In" button.

17) Once the Check-In operation is completed all those component will now be queued up in the Development Tab,

18) In the Development Tab select all the components & click on "Import"

19) Once the Import operation is completed all those component will now be queued up in the Consolidation Tab,

20) In the Consolidation Tab select all the components & click on "Import"

21) Now come back to your NWDS and remove the configuration that you have imported previously and then again load the same configuration once again from the SLD.

Now, the DC types will become active.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shreyas

First of all, thank you very much for your very detailed answer. Don`t know how long it took but must have been long enough :).

Anyway your answer was helpful but did not really clarify my root problem: CM Services.

I used the Change Management Services (CMS) before with success, but since 7.2 SAP suggest to use CM Services instead of CMS.

Here is the original text of SAP:

"Since SAP NetWeaver CE 7.2 the CM Services should be used instead of CMS.

The CMS offers a predefined change management process with different release steps to control the software flow through the landscape. It supports automated deployment of build results onto central test servers and into production.

When you start with JAVA development with NWDI use the CM Services. In case you already used NWDI before 7.20 you can still use CMS and migrate to CM Services later."

I know the steps of Product Creation, Software Component Creation, Tracks etc. but in CM Services there is not the possibility of creating Tracks.

Have you tried to use the CM Services?

Thank you very much again.

Greets

Denis

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

I don't know if I understand exactly what you try to achieve. NWDI exists out of three components (DTR, CBS and CMS). If you use the CM services you do indeed not need CMS anymore, as long as you plan to go for activity based transports. I created a blog in the past that explains this so won't go in detail here Just check http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/22496. [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]

However, you mention that you do not use CTS/CTS+ so in that case you have to keep working in the 'old fashioned' way. Because in that case you still need the CMS tool. But maybe I misunderstood you question so then just let me know

Regards,

Nico...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico

thank you for the answer. I think you understood my correctly :).

I already did it the old fashioned way with CMS. Nevertheless the whole thing with CM Services is quite confusing.

According to SAP Help CM Services should work without CMS: "You can implement the CM services either with or without a CTS system".

I did all the steps described in SAP Help, but when importing the Development Configuration in NWDS all DC types are unsupported and deactived. When working with CMS you have to create a track and import all the necessary SCAs to your CMS inbox. But how will you do this with CM Services??

There are three possible failures:

1. I did something wrong

2. The old CMS is still necessary when developing in a pure JAVA environment without CTS.

3. There is a bug or functions are missing in CM Services within that scenario

Best regards

Denis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

With CMS you created tracks and in a track you define the system landscape by using runtime systems. However, with the CM services the configuration of the landscape is done in the ABAP stack transaction STMS (which means you need CTS+). If you are interested you can look at the CM service how-to-guide of SAP:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b08abb67-0e34-2d10-78b8-e7246ad93...

This also explains the following prerequisites for using CM Services:

- Enhanced Change and Transport System (CTS+) on EHP1 for SAP NW 7.0 or higher with

SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP (AS ABAP)

SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java (AS Java)

- SAP NWDI on EHP 1 for SAP NW 7.0 or higher with the components

DTR (Design Time Repository) (Usage Type DI)

CBS (Component Build Service) (Usage Type DI)

So without the ABAP stack you cannot use the CM services, since you cannot configure it. Besides that in the old fashioned way the CMS tool was also used for the transportation. So if you do not use CMS anymore you need another way of transporting which is the ABAP transports approach..

I hope this clarifies things for you?

Regards,

Nico...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Solved now. I wrote a blog for those who are interested in CM Services in a local environment without CMS.

[CM Services without CTS|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/23997] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Also another article is now available. It`s more detailed and focuses on 7.02 and CTS+.

[CM Services in 7.02|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/library/uuid/90b89739-c236-2e10-f69d-eed4adc40983]

Regards

Denis