cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Mechanism in XI From DEV--QA---PRD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have searched in SDN about this and i haven't got straight answer for this. Hence i am posting this here.

We are using File transport in our landscape, we moved all objects from DEV--QA and testing is done, every thing is good.

No i want to move these objects to PRD, Now the Question is

Should i export the IR & ID objects from QA again ?? or Should i use the Exported TPZ files from DEV??

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>Should i export the IR & ID objects from QA again ?? or Should i use the Exported TPZ files from DEV??

Better export from QA. What happens if there are some business requirement issues and you guys fixed in QA ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Baskar,

Thanks for reply, in General what do we prefer every one??

>>What happens if there are some business requirement issues and you guys fixed in QA ?

If any changes, we have to do it from DEV only then transport to QA

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>Should i export the IR & ID objects from QA again ?? or Should i use the Exported TPZ files from DEV??

Better export from QA. What happens if there are some business requirement issues and you guys fixed in QA ?

@Bhaskar: I really doubt anybody will fix a defect or change the code directly in QA. We have to do it in Dev and then transport it to QA else this will lead to inconsistences when you make your transport to QA from Dev.

@Bhavna: Unlike ABAP, you will have to login to Q & P system change some configurations in ID (like file paths, BS names). I will second everybody else view's here: you should move transport to Production from QA only.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can transport the ESR objects using the same TPZ exported from DEV. It does not depend on systems. But the ID objects, you must transfer from QA as the source business systems for the PRD systems are in QA. This is the ideal approach, whether you are using a sinlge SLD for DEV and QA or individual SLDs for each of the systems.

You can refer to my document -

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b01876ac-abbb-2a10-788e-95a7c5a5a...

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

VJ,

>>But the ID objects, you must transfer from QA as the source business systems for the PRD systems are in QA.

If i define Transport targets and groups between DEV and PRD, then it might not be required to transport from QA only.

>>This is the ideal approach, whether you are using a sinlge SLD for DEV and QA or individual SLDs for each of the systems.

If this is the standard approach we follow, then i should agree with you.

Because why i got this question in my mind is, ABAP transports we do once in DEV and we use them through out for PRD.

In case of XI File transports, can't we use the same file exported at DEV level to QA and then use the same files to PRD too

Please correct me if any thing wrong

REgards

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

First confirm do you have XI quality environment or not? if you have then follow Dev>QA->Prod.

if you dont have qaulity then dev-->prod .

Regards,

Raja Sekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Same is applicable in PI also. The transports from Dev can be moved to Prd also.

But because of nature of PI, technically you can transport objects from QA also. Only thing needs to be insured is target group setting if any. In case you are transporting from Dev, your source group should be that of Dev and incase you are transporting from QA, your source group should be QA.

Regards

Monika

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bhavana, the recommended approach would be to take objects from Q to P.

Because why i got this question in my mind is, ABAP transports we do once in DEV and we use them through out for PRD.

ABAP transports are more organized with record of each change. File transports on the other hand involve quite some manual transfer of files. So its better to take the tested version of change from Q to P.

If i define Transport targets and groups between DEV and PRD

Recommended is D to Q and Q to P.

Technically, there are always options to do things in different manner. However, you must always follow the recommended and simplofied approach.

Regards,

Prateek