Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Naming Conventions for DB Data Files

cervantes_nicols
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

We are about to install a SAP ECC 6.0 SR3 ABAP on Windows Server 2008 (R2) & SQL Server 2008 SP1 and we want to name the DB data files as follows:

<sid>DB_Data_001.MDF/NDF

Do you see any problem with this or think this could lead to a problem in the future?

We were unable to find a SAP note or SAP recommendation about this, we only found SAP Note 27428 but itu2019s for Oracle.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Nicolas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

I thought about all corners where this could possibly lead to a problem (e.g. monitoring, DB13, ...) but couldn't think of a single report or transaction where this would cause problems.

To the database itself the names of the files do not matter at all and in the SAP transactions the datafiles are only read to display them in monitoring transactions like DB02 or RZ20. These transaction do not expect a certain naming convention so I don't see anything that would count against using different filenames.

Regards,

Beate Grötschnig

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

For SAP installation with SQL server , use the default naming as suggested by Installation master. If will help in future if you would like to upgrade/migrate the SAP sysetm. Don't follow your own naming method.

Reagrds

Mukul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mukul,

I am curious based on which experience you state that using different filenames is not ok. I do not see a problem at all to do so. Can you please elaborate your concerns?

Regards,

beate

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I totally agree with Beate. Whatever naming convention you select for datafiles, same gets recorded in the database for future reference. Hence during future upgrades, datafiles are referred with the name what is stored in the database only.

So I do not see any issue with the naming convention chosen as well as do not see any future implications as well.

Regards,

Deepak Kori