Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP R/3 Project for school

Former Member
0 Kudos

I really didn't know where to put this, but here goes:

Hi people,

I'm completely new to SAP and I chose to work with it for a school project.

My university supplies the SAP software, the rest is up to me.

Now, I have been googling and googling but I found that there is very little information on SAP.

For my project I have to install SAP R/3 v4.6 and get it working, however since I never worked with SAP and I can't find much on it I'm in a bit of trouble.

I was wondering if either you know where I can find some good tutorials or articles on how to install and configure SAP or maybe you could get me going.

I have access to 2 computers (I could get more if needed) and the software supplied by my university.

If I start to install the GateWay through GWSETUP, I can pick 2 files GWINST.R3S and GATEWAY.R3S. However, on both occasions I get errors (I did install IMMC but when I tried to install the Active Directory Service Interfaces I got the error: Incorrect INF file syntax in section 'CheckForPrevVer).

The errors I get with GWINST are:

The process SAPCAR puts out:

SAPCAR: no archives specified for extracting (error 29). Er zijn
    geen bestanden meer.

ERROR 2006-08-02 19:00:53 CDINSTEXTRACTSAPMMCMSC_NT_IND InstallationDo:0
    Phase failed.

ERROR 2006-08-02 19:00:53 InstController Action:0
    Step CDINSTEXTRACTSAPMMCMSC_NT_IND could not be performed.

ERROR 2006-08-02 19:00:53 Main :0
    Installation failed.

ERROR 2006-08-02 19:00:53 Main :0
    Installation aborted. 

and with the GATEWAY.R3S I get:

INFO 2006-08-02 18:53:42 PRESENTATIONCD_NT_IND InternalColdKeyCheck:0
    The CD PRESENT will not be copied.

ERROR 2006-08-02 18:53:54 R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND SubstituteVariables:0
    Could not load the SAP MMC Snapin DLL !
    Did you install the SAP MMC Snapin using the program R3DLLINS.EXE
    from the kernel CD?

ERROR 2006-08-02 18:53:54 R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND SubstituteVariables:0
    File: D:SAP R3GATEWAYNTI386SAPMMC.MSC not readable.

ERROR 2006-08-02 18:53:54 R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND ColdKeyCheck:0
    Phase failed.

ERROR 2006-08-02 18:53:54 InstController Action:0
    Step R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND could not be performed.

ERROR 2006-08-02 18:53:55 Main :0
    Installation failed.

ERROR 2006-08-02 18:53:55 Main :0
    Installation aborted.

What am I doing wrong here?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please let us know how you solved this problem. we have the same problem with the installation of 4.6C on windows server 2003 X86.

Thanks,

-V. Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been able to solve this problem, though it was on Windows XP. The real problem here was the IMMC installation which seemed to be corrupt or wrongly configured. I did a few more attempts and stumbled on the same problem over and over, so I downloaded them from the internet (try google) and I installed it through a downloaded package. After installing this I used the GATEWAY.R3S template to install SAP R/3 on my machine and everything worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ok, first of all please describe me your hardware configuration and OS, maybe I should find a interisting documentation.

Check that you have the goods CDs ( don't try to install 64b release on 32b OS for example ).

Then you'll find a lot of documentation for installation on <a href="http://service.sap.com/instguides">http://service.sap.com/instguides</a>.

If you just want to install a basic 4.6C SR2 release, you don't need to use the GWxxx.R3S template. Simply use the CENTRAL.R3S one with R3SETUP and follow the instructions.

If you're working with Windows, install the correct release of Oracle first ( if Oracle is your DB software ). ( Check the compatibility between your OS, Oracle and SAP releases ).

Regards,

Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Windows XP (32-bit), my SAP version is 32-bit as well. I also use Oracle as database system. Now you said I should use CENTRAL.R3S however, I cannot find that file. Is it meant to be a gateway setup template? if so, where should it be located?

I have come to know that I need a Database server (Oracle) a SAP server (Gateway) and a SAP client. My aim is to install them all on one pc, but if that cannot be done, I can use several systems, all with the above specifications.

I assume I first need to install a Gateway before installing the client.

PS: I think I have made a little bit of progress with my installation but I get the following errors now:

ERROR 2006-08-11 15:15:11 R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND SubstituteVariables:0
    Could not load the SAP MMC Snapin DLL !
    Did you install the SAP MMC Snapin using the program R3DLLINS.EXE
    from the kernel CD?

ERROR 2006-08-11 15:15:11 R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND SubstituteVariables:0
    File: D:SAP R3GATEWAYNTI386SAPMMC.MSC not readable. 

ERROR 2006-08-11 15:15:11 R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND ColdKeyCheck:0
    Phase failed.

ERROR 2006-08-11 15:15:11 InstController Action:0
    Step R3PISERVICEMANAGER_NT_IND could not be performed.

ERROR 2006-08-11 15:15:11 Main :0
    Installation failed.

ERROR 2006-08-11 15:15:11 Main :0
    Installation aborted.

I think there is something wrong with my MMC installation, though I did install it according to the manual. I did not succeed in installing the Active Service Directory Interfaces though, I got the following error when I tried to self-extract it:

Incorrect INF file syntax in section 'CheckForPrevVer'