cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perform a Test Run export database on R/3 4.6C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

i want to perform a test run export on a R/3 4.6C system to calculate the downtime for a migration. The problem is that i can not find this option withing the R3SETUP.EXE menu.

Am i missing something?

Many thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ruchit,

now i'm getting confused, as per the SAP 4.6 R/3 Heterogeneous System Copy guide:

Test Run / Schedule

u2022 Perform a test run of the system copy. The time taken by the test run is used to calculate

the system downtime:

u2212 If your target system will replace your source system, try to perform a complete test

run, meaning that the entire database is exported from the source system, transferred

to the target system and imported there. Approximately system downtime will be

equal to the total test time (that is, time for export, transport and import).

So can't you really perform a test run on a 4.6C system database?

Best Regards,

Marcos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcos,

I believe the test run here refers to the kind of the run I have mentioned. Not actually a test run option with R3setup but actually a dry run. Any export would involve downtime. Now it doesn't make much of sense to do a test run and still bring down your production for a downtime. IYou can't do DB export with SAP up and running.

The documentation also reflects that

If your target system will replace your source system, try to perform a complete test

run, meaning that the entire database is exported from the source system, transferred

to the target system and imported there. Approximately system downtime will be

equal to the total test time (that is, time for export, transport and import).

u2212 If you donu2019t want to replace your source system, a partial test run (export of entire

database or parts of it) may suffice to calculate the system downtime. The source

system will only be down for the time of the export

It is a simulation of the actual migration. Even in higher releases with SAPinst there is no explicit option for test export or export simulation. Client copy has that option but not DB export.

Regards.

Ruchit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ruchit,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, i did that as per the SAP documentation but it looks like is going to do the export, not a test run, its a production system so i don't wanna take any risk.

Or doesn't differ at all the way you do a test run from a normal export?

Best Regards,

Marcos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcos,

Sorry I missed the test part. As such there is no test export option. Typically you should do it on a non-production system first(that is your test run). The non-production system must have a same hardware and database size. So based on that you can figure out your run times for production.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Marcos,

Taking a PRD system export impacts on performance, in fact, in normal procedures, the SAP system is down but not the DB. It is a recommendations to update the programs R3load, R3szchck and R3ldctl and the update DB stats .

Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcos,

You need to select the file DBEXPORT.R3S and then choose the option Open. After that INSTGUI should come up. Have you tried that out.

Regards.

Ruchit.