cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route Determination and Carrier

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been assigned to a project in which I need to set up route determination for all customers. I have reviewed the documentation carefully, and understand the high-level configuration that is necessary. However, one item I cannot seem to find is how route determination can specify a carrier to be used for the shipment.

For the majority of our customers, we don't have specific routes with different legs, we simply have weight groups which determine the carrier we will use. For example, for customer ABC, if the weight of the delivery is between 1-20lbs, we will use Fedex Air, and if the weight is 20lbs+ we will use Fedex Ground. Another customer could have a totally different set of weight limits and carrier(s) they would like to use. We do have a few customers who would like to specify the specific physical route the shipment should take (east coast to midwest, then down to the south, or something like that).

For the first type (by weight) I understand that I can set up weight groups which will help derive the route, but I do not want the route to just equal the carrier. Instead, we would like to use route determination to help us determine both the route (physical legs in the trip [likely to be defaulted to a general route for most customers, but leaving the solution open for the future]), and the carrier, which would likely be placed as the Forwarding Agent.

Sorry for the long explanation, but if you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor

Routes will be determined either by

a) Origin Country and Destination Country (with or without weight group) or

b) by Delivery Type

and I am not sure, where we define transport vendor per route. Right now, I dont have access to SAP and hence, am unable to confirm this. In fact, one route can have en number of vendors. When we create a shipment document, you can key in manually the transport vendor which also depends on your shipment type configuration where for the field "Copy routine", whatever assignment is made, based on that system will fetch the data.

This being the case, you can very well manually key in the required transport vendor in VT01N.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any thoughts on this?

rajiv_trivedi
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I was just going through this thread & wish to have inputs.

Tcode 0VTC (ZeroVTC)>Double click on your selected Route>You will get service agent tab under second tab Processing.

Service agent is same as Carrier or transporter account group 0005

Trust this wil be helpful tip.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please correct me if I didn't understand your comments, but based on your feedback, it looks like when I define each route, I can specify the "Service agent", which represents the carrier (we maintain them as a vendor in master data?). Does this mean that as each customer may have different weight groupings, which align to different carriers, I would need to set up a route for each one of these mappings? Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

0VTB

0VTA

0VTD

0VTC - Maintain vendor in route and stsages

OVR1

OVL7

OVSY

OVS8

0VRF - Maintain Route determinatiom