Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted synonyms for sequences when checking catalog

thomasschulz2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi forum,

we are using community version 7.6.06.03 on Linux 64bit (yes - it's rather old, but still working well). There we have created some sequences for db user A and added grants to db user B. User B works with own synonyms on the sequences of user A (needed for generic application). Running "dbmcli ... db_execute check catalog" gives a warning about inconsistencies. Same command plus additional "... with update" deletes the synonyms from user B and removes the inconsistencies.

How to reproduce:

1. dbuserA: create sequence seq1

2. dbuserA: grant select on seq1 to dbuserB

3. dbuserB: create synonym dbuserB.ownseq1 for dbuserA.seq1

4. dbmcli ... db_execute check catalog with update

=> synonyms from step 3 are deleted (at new db sessions)

Is this a false construct in our structure, a wrong usage of a command or maybe an error in maxdb? I've found the command "check catalog [with update]" only in this forum, but not in the official documentation of 7.6.

BTW: Version 7.6.06.10 shows the same behaviour.

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I was able to reproduce this even with 7.7.06 Build 15.

OK - wild guess: in SAP we don't make use of cross-schema synonyms on MaxDB.

So, maybe this awkward little part of the catalog check had been created before there was something like SCHEMAs in MaxDB (say. before 7.5).

Back then, a non-public synonym not belonging to the same schema would have been a inconsistency (well, likely).

I tried to use public synonym instead - that works (that is, the check doesn't delete them).

Hope that helps a bit.

regards,

Lars

thomasschulz2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

that sounds plausible and I already thought something like that before. The usage of public synonyms doesn't work with our applications. Because we have no problems with the actual situation, we think about reworking our structures to get a better adaption to our requirements and meanwhile don't use the command "check catalog with update".

Thanks and regards,

Thomas