cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager 7 EHP1 - MSSQL - Swap hostname with virtual hostname

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey guys/gals,

I have installed an instance of Solution Manager 7 EHP1 with MSSQL, on the amazon cloud, running on a Windows 2008 64bit, local install (no domain).

I have set a virtual hostname using note 360515. I need this to be able to do homogeneous system copy later on.

Problem is that solman is installed using the host name. Note 360515 was applied post installation. Right now only the SMD is set to use the virtual hostname.

I would like to know the ramifications, if I switch the hostname with the virtual hostname (right click my computer and change host name, also hosts file), revise changes from note 360515 and reinstall SMD.

Will this work? or are there other steps I need to consider?

If this will work, will it work for my other ERP 6.0 installation which needs the same change?

Thanks,

Paul

UPDATE: I tried it out, but making the host name to be a virtual host name and vice versa, invalidates the license.

I guess for now I will stick with just the SMD running on the Virtual Host name and will deal with the rest at system copy time.

I'm still having issue understanding what's the point of a virtual hostname if the sap install cannot completely run on it.

Updated by: Paul C. on Mar 8, 2011 7:14 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check SAP note 8307 and 757692.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Sunny,

Thanks for the reply. I will check those notes out in detail.

However, after reading some more on Virtualization (i.e. Note 1282975), I think I installed Solman and ERP systems all wrong, by using local hosts first.

Not just that, but from note 1282975, it seems that in order for virtualization to work, we need to have a running AD with a FQDN set up.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use virtualization on a local install that doesn't have an AD set up nor a FQDN? Has anyone done it successfully on a clean system.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can do the local install on virtualized environment. what do you mean by AD ? Is it active directory ?

Thanks

Sunny

0 Kudos

Paul, did you get any further with this? In other words, is it possible to change an existing installation over to use virtual hostnames without reinstalling? Given that SAP doesn't support hostname changes in a production system, one would think the same also applies with virtual hostnames. But I failed to find much details or information about it anyhwhere.

Answers (0)