cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived directory getting filled regularly : causing issues to Prod system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

In my EP system , the archive directory is getting occupied regularly and hence causing space crunch.

As of now , we are manually deleting those archived logs on a weekly basis.

I checked the log configuratiuon and found that the severity is Error

So , I need your valuable inputs to resolve this issue

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Sandeep

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. If you are taking backup of archive log files then ensure the parameter archive_function is set to copy_delete_save in init<SID>.sap and you can also increase the backup schedules frequency.

2. check any tablespace is in backup mode, that may also cause more redo generation.

select count(*) from v$backup where status='ACTIVE';

if the count is more than 0, then issue the below command.

alter database end backup;

Regards

Sivakumar.R

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If this is the portal log archive, you may need to amend the settings for the Log Configurator service (see help page below). I think you can switch the archiving on or off, but not sure what advice SAP give as to which is best in a Production system.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/48/2edfd5bd3e0d4a81b90325fe195a70/frameset.htm

Hope this is helpful.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all and apologies for late reply

Hi Sujith ,

I am not taking abt ora/<sid>/saparch

My issue is with usr/sap/<SID>/JCOO/j2ee/cluster/server*/log/archive

Hi Steven,

yeah ,, whatever you said migbe right

If I mark Archiveoldfiles option to OFF what happens ?

I might be wrong (correct me)

-->Is that just stops removing the old files from log directory to move to archive dir .

--> If that is the case, then my log dir will suffer with space crunch .. right ?

Regards

Sandy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandy,

My understanding is that with ArchiveOldLogFiles = ON, the old files are saved into the archive directory and that when it is set to OFF, they are not saved into the archive directory.

I believe that when a file has reached a maximum size (defined by DefaultTraceFile_Limit in the LogManager), a new one is created. This happens over again until a maximum number of files have been created (defined by DefaultTraceFile_Count in the LogManager). When all files have reached the limit, the oldest is overwritten again. Therefore, the log directory shouldn't grow larger than a certain size, depending on these parameters.

Regards.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Thanks for info.

If I turn-off the archive option ,

My Log directory will get filled or Is it going to stay with those 20 files only (defaulttrace_maxcount =20).

If it is going to be 20 files only , I don't need to go for cleaning off this directory again.

If the LOG directory once again piles up, I need to regularly clean off this directory as well .

Please add your thoughts , In the meanwhile I will also perform these changes

Regards

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandy,

Please see the following help link (the section about the DefaultTraceFile_Count parameter).

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/2b/09343e32ff1033e10000000a114084/content.htm

Once the maximum number of files is created (20 in your case), the system starts writing to the oldest file.

Kind regards.

Steve.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you configured any backups for the system? If not, then disable the archive log as mentioned earlier as well in your post.

If you are deleting on weekly basis, are you storing them somewhere before deleting them?

Also check for the logs, these are error logs, so check for the error as well.

Regards,

Dipesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As a production system are you not taking the backups. ?

If you don't want the archive logs, then just disable it through brtools and set it to noarchlog mode.

This will solve your issue.

Regards,

Shubham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can change the location for the archive logs using visual admin or NWA. Did you check for all the nodes whether the log configuration is set to error or not.

Regards,

Vamshi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vamshi,

I checked the nodes and they all are in error and moreover If I move the archive location , the actual log fromation will still exists.

so , I can't go for that as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How much space did you see allocated for that? Did you notice any particular files growing ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

I am really sorry to ask you this question in little late.

Are you referring the archive log directory (/oracle/SID/saparch)?

Regards,

Sujit.