Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Determination based on Availability

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SD gurus,

I have a client requirement as below:

We create order via BAPI. Data comes from ext call center system.

Whenever Matnr A is entered in Sales order & it is not available then Matnr B should come.

1: I know that we can handle this in Material Determination. I did req. config in IMG

2: I have created VB11 stating that MATNR A should be substituted by Matnr B. I have ticked the MRP ind in VB11 as well.

Now the question is:

When I enter MATNR A in sales order, & assuming its not available then, MATNR B will come in Sales order.

In my case it is happening. But whenever this happens what should be the item category of the MATNR A & MATNR B?

Please let me understand how will standard SAP behave.

I thought the item A should appear as Text item & probably item B should become relevant for delivery & pricing.

But currently I am getting item category TAX for item A & TAPS for item B in sand box. Is that correct?

What should be the standard item categories in this case?

regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The system runs several checks on on each possible substitute, for example to determine if the customer would accept the product based on the product attributes and current stock availability.The system checks substitute materials until the order quantity is satisfied, or until there are no more possible substitutes.

When a valid alternative is found, the system creates a sub-item for it, using the item category that you have defined for the main material in Customizing.

If there is not enough inventory for the alternatives to cover a required quantity, the system confirms only the available amount and ignores the rest. The main item contains information on the confirmed quantity of the sub-item, but is not relevant for planning. For this reason, the material shortage is not passed on to planning.

If you set the material requirements planning indicator for one of the alternatives, however, the system creates an additional sub-item for this material, assigning it a confirmed quantity equal to zero, and a required quantity equal to the open quantity. Since this material is placed as the final alternative in the substitution, it captures any remaining quantities. The system takes this item into account and passes the material shortage on to planning.

Based on your settings Customizing, the system performs pricing at the main or sub-item level.

There are two separate item categories in sales documents for product selection. The item category TAX contains specifications for the main item (original product). The other, TAPS, contains specifications for the sub-items (substitute product).

Review the item category configurations in the standard system. If these do not meet your requirements, perform the activities in the following topics to modify the item category configuration, or create your own categories. Note that if your product selection procedure requires that pricing be done at the main item instead of the sub-item, you will have to create new item categories.

The following examples detail how pricing is carried out at the main item level and sub-item level for product selection.

Pricing at the Main Item

the price for the order is determined based on the price condition records for the main item only. You have deactivated pricing for the sub-item category, so the system does not determine a price for it. Since both the main item and the sub-item categories are relevant for billing, the prices (even if there is no price) are copied to the invoice and billed accordingly.

Pricing at the Sub-item

the price for the order is determined based on the price condition records for the sub-items. You have deactivated pricing for the main item category, so the system does not determine a price for it. Since both the main item and the sub-item categories are relevant for billing, the prices (even if there is no price) are copied to the invoice and billed accordingly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SOM,

Thanks for detailed answer. But now have additional query.

If there is MATNR A with ATP qty 50. In Mat Detn (VB11) alternative of A is given as B.

I create a Sales order for A with qty 60.

Can the system create 2 line where it has MATNR A with Qty 50 in line item 1 & Matnr B with Qty 10 in line item 2.

Can this be handled by Material determination in standard SAP at all?

Input req from experts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This can be achieved in standard Material determination records by maintaining the condition records like inthe following example:

In order to perform product substitution ONLY in the case of ATP failure for product A, structure the Material Determination record as follows:

Material Entered: A

Substitutes: A,

B

While you are creating condition record under 'MatEntered' you give mat A and under substitue Material (Material) also U give mat A. Then double click on the line and in the Alternatice materials box, you will see A, enter B also below it and save.

This way system will first check for mat A and if any shortage, then looks for mat B and creates a sub item for mat b for the remaining quantity.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Based on the availability you need Material A and MAterial B. In the condition records you have alternative materials (F2).

A common name for the material A and Material B.Now when user enters the common name with quantity 60 system will give a pop up box with Material A and Material B with quantities avaialble and user can enter the required quantity 50 and 10.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Item category determination should have.

OR NORM PSEL TAX TAPS

OR NORM PSHP TAX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Item category determination should have.

OR NORM PSEL TAX TAPS

OR NORM PSHP TAX