cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document types adn numbers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

My question is simple, i am maintaing the number range for a document type (XXX) in which i maintain or store all documents related to that document type and linked to the object links and saved.

why i need to create number range for a document type (XXX). here i uploaded related documents to the particular document type. there is no need for creation of new document type.

kindly help out

regards

kannan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kannan,

The document type you maintain is a control data. By that you classify your documents, have the types of object link you want for that document, have a status network.

Now after that the actual work come where you create many documents using that document type. This

is what we call as DIR. We provide various object links, attach the originals to this DIR. This DIR has a unique number which come from your number range.

In short, Document Type is your Configuration Data and DIR is your Transaction Data.

So the number range given in the document type will be used to create the various DIR of the same document type.

Hope your doubt is cleared.

Give points if found useful.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Guru,

Thanks for your quick reply. so i can maintain the number range from 1000 to 1999999999, and i configure in the document type configuration.

Can i use this number range for all the different document types which i create like (abc, fgr, ght, yet, .... ), or i have to maintain separate number range for each document type.

Regards

Poonguntran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kannan,

You can assign the same number range to many document type.

The document number will be picked on first come first serve basis.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. I am maintaining different number ranges for each doc types, can i do that.

2. I have maintained one document type with classification (Region, Date and Month), in which i upload a document, and assign to my classification (Region (South) Date, and

month). and saved it and doc number is 10001

3. Now i have to upload other document which relates to the document type. but the region is North. For this can i create new one and the document number is 10002. can i do

this way.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kannan,

1. You can maintain different number range for each document type. You need to have that many number ranges defined.

2. Yes, you may have it 10002, but subject to you have assign that number range only to that document type and no other document (DIR) is yet created for that document type.

You can also have external number range with some restriction.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, so i can store the docs for central region separately, south region separately, east, west, north as well.

Like as,

1. Now i can maintain separate doc type 10001 for central region (choosing classification) with 300020 customer (object link) and save the doc type.

2. 10002 for west region (choosing classification) with 500021 customer (object link) and save the doc type.

3. 10002 for east region (choosing classification) with 400032 customer(object link) and save the doc type.

If i can do like this,

Then My question is if the central region has 10 customers, i upload all 10 customer docs in single doc type 10001 by using object

link customers ( filling up all the 10 customer numbers in the object link) and save the doc type.

Now,when i search for particular customer docs, then the system shows the document type were i stored all docs for all cusotmers

Regards

kannan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kannan,

First of all, the refer which you are refering i.e. 10001 is called document number and not document type.

Also you cannot have two document with same document number (10002) unless you have different document part or document version.

You can add as many entries in the object link(customer) as you wish. You can maintain both 500021 & 400032 in the object link of document 10002.

Yes, you have saved all the 10 customers in the same document ( as object links). So when you search with the object link search giving the customer number the system will give the list of all the documents where this customer is linked.

But now I have a question to you, why do you want to add all the 10 customers in the same document?

Also I suppose you are attaching some customer documents( 10 nos.).

It is suggested that you should attach 1 doc per DIR. So it is easy to search them.

If you want to classify the document as per the region you can use classification.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Pawan,

I have maintained document type with (3 Characters) XYZ, and the doc number is 10001.

Ok i accept you, that i will link only one customer for each document type.

In the classification part of the document type, i have regions( south, east, north, and west) Here i select SOUTH for one doc

which i have uploaded and do link to the customer and save the doc type XYZ.the doc number is 10001.

now i upload a other doc which relates to the next region East, and do link to the customer (who belongs to east) and save the

document type XYZ .The doc type is 10002.

can i do in this way so i can search the documents easily .

kindly suggest

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kannan,

Now I think everything is going correct.

You are using object link and classification uniquely.

This will help to drill down the searching of the document.

Here again I suppose in the classification you are using Region, date, etc.

You can add more things in classification as per your business scenario to make the document more easy to classify and search.

I suppose everything is going rite.

Regards,

Pavan