cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce SAP Data Volumes in Production

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are being impacted by the volume of the production systems. The figures we have are that the production SAP applications alone are 22TB which is huge and I think this should be looked at as I cannot believe that we require to hold this volume of data. Reducing the volume should give rise to significant benefits in terms of storage, processing, licencing and performance. I understand that are Arching project was kicked off but this has only been looking at the largest tables and will only reduce this volume by less than 10%. From discussions with the Business team one of the issues is that there are large numbers of open transactions and these are stopping the archiving of large sets of data. Iu2019m not sure how to take this forward or how to take this to.Please sugeest me.What should be the Archieving & Data Retention Policies??

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Das,

As start up, Implementing technical archiving objects such as IDOC, WORKITEM, CHANGEDOC, BC_SBAL so on... can help to check the growth of cross functional tables. Planning, designing & Implementing these AO's will not take too much of time from both technical and functional point of view when compared with functional AO's such as FI_DOCUMNT, SD_VBAK, MM_EKKO.... so on.

Secondly for house keeping activities: You can apply PADA principles (Prevention, Aggregation, Deletion & Archiving) for some of the tables that is not covered under archiving activities.

Hope this information will help.

-Thanks,

Ajay

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi N Das,

.What should be the Archieving & Data Retention Policies?

Those a unique to each company, data retention is usually set acording to your company needs and the country legislation.

From discussions with the Business team one of the issues is that there are large numbers of open transactions and these are stopping the archiving of large sets of data

Even if there is large amount of open/non-archivable data that should not stop you from archiving the ones that are completed. SARA will determine the scope of data to be selected/flagged for archiving according to the variant and archiving object used.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What should be the Archieving & Data Retention Policies??

SAP Data Archiving is an 80% functional project. The Retention policies are completely dependent from the legal requirements in the specific country and the specific business rules of the company.

So nobody "from the internet" can guess what is the Data Retention Policy for YOUR need.

By the way, waiting for a database size of 22 TB before starting an archiving project is way too late.

We started with a 2 TB size and I still think it was also too late.

Regards,

Olivier