cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependent drop-down lists

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I created an Adobe Form and would like to add two drop-down lists (ddl) which are dependent on each other. With dependent I mean: the values of the second ddl should depend on the selection on the first ddl (ex. first ddl contains continent names, the second country names). Is there a method to implement the dependent ddl with built-in functions? If possible I would like to avoid programming on the form.

My trial so far: The creation of a drop-down list with binding to an interface table (one row with data) is no biggy! I tried the same with two ddls. I bound both ddls to an interface table (two rows with data), the first ddl to the first row and the second ddl to the second row of the table. Unfortunately in both ddls all entries where always shown - no dependency! It was the same result as binding two ddl to two tables.

Did I miss a setting?! Or did I just use a wrong approach?

I appreciate any help, hints and good advices which leads to a solution of my problem.

Thanks & regards,

Phil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

There are 2 approaches for this.

1 Triggring server event to fetch dependent data. like you select the continent trigger the event it will submit to server and fills up the country list and when select the country again do the same approach and fill the state/region list. but you see every event is triggered to server and its a performance issue for one entire server roundtrip. also the continents or the countries dont change its impracticle. if I were you I wont do this (may be it differs if this country thing is just an example)

2) I will maintain 3 lists continent, country, state on the form and are fully populated by the interface. and will do client side scripting, its easy performance effective.

let me know if you need a script for this.

Cheers,

Sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

Looks like variant 1 works only online - because of the server script. Therefore I prefer variant 2. It would be very kind if you could send me the client side scripts.

Thanks & regards

Philipp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

if you can send me a test mail to My id in this business card.

This evening i will send you a xdp file with dynamic dropdowns.

Cheers,

Sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

I replied your mail with the example xdp.

Cheers,

Sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sai can you please mention the code for this because i also need this in one of my form.

Regards

Ravi Pawar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai / Ravi,

Can you please give me the xdp for the same.

I am and am not getting correct scripts.

I have also created forum for this : ;

Can you please give me the xdp for dynamic binding if possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Narendra.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use User events on the adobe form. When the first drop down is selected, a user event is triggered.

During the event you fetch values for second drop down.

Thanks,

Aravind

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aravind,

thanks a lot for your quick answer!

As far as I know a User Event is a piece of program which is dedicated to an object and executed in case a certain event happens.

If possible I would like to avoid programming on the form.

Thanks & regards,

Phil