cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about direct entry texts in Web Dynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a question regarding static text entries for Labels/Tool tips/Button texts in WDA.

Are all static text entries defaulted in WDA as OTR entries?

I just created a Package and a WD within the package. When I created a Label and input a text for the label, I got a popup stating "Create Object Directory Entry" . The Object entry was defaulted Type "SOTR" and name to <name of my Package> and non-editable. This creation was captured in a transport request.

I soon realized that this entry was needed each time I created a text entry (for a WD element) within a new Package for the first time.

I have been creating packages and WD applications within these packages in the past and have never seen this behaviour.

If I needed an OTR entry, I would explicitly create it and use it as $OTR:<Package>/<ALIAS>. Never did I realize that direct text entries which I always thought as static and non-translatable, were actually being captured as OTR all the while. Was something defaulted/configured in my previous ECC systems to auto create OTR objects?

What implication will this have on transports? Eg: If I create a package, create a OTR object for that package, I assume all text entries against the object will be captured within my request. Somebody else creating a WD within my package and referencing Text entries will have an issue if their request is transported prior to mine.

Please let me know your thoughts or if there is something that I am missing here.

Thanks,

Puja

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi All,

>

> I have a question regarding static text entries for Labels/Tool tips/Button texts in WDA.

> Are all static text entries defaulted in WDA as OTR entries?

1. I am not sure if i can categorize that all the static text by default added to OTR. I think if you enter text data for the UI property fields of type "WDY_MD_TRANSLATABLE_TEXT" then the entires are added to the OTR of the component. In your case TEXT and TOOLTIP are of that type.

Was something defaulted/configured in my previous ECC systems to auto create OTR objects?

As far as i know there is no global configuration for that.

> What implication will this have on transports? Eg: If I create a package, create a OTR object for that package, I assume all text entries against the object will be captured within my request. Somebody else creating a WD within my package and referencing Text entries will have an issue if their request is transported prior to mine.

i expect no error here but i am not a expert in transport and change request. In case if i am wrong then i would at least expect a fair warning from the system that it misses Dependant object.

marcin_cholewczuk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

About this transport question. Such person will be able to release transport without any problems, but during import to quality he/she will get an error regarding creation of objects (no package) or activation of web dynpro.

Best regards

Marcin Cholewczuk

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the solution. We have gone ahead and created a request exclusively for the OTR objects, which will be transported first preceded by the other WD related requests.