Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade related query- Repository Update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As mentioned in the upgrade guide :

After installation of MDM 7.1 and having started the MDM 7.1 Server use the MDM Console to update

your repositories. Choose Update Repository from the context menu of each repository. The MDM Console then updates

the repository so that it can be used with the latest builds. The data in the repository is automatically

upgraded.

But, i did the same thing but in my case after un-archiving the repository and login in with respective correct repository credentials,Right clicking on repository the option "Update Repository" is not active ...How will i do this action ?how do i update the repository now ?

( I have tried by Loading & Unloading also )

Please suggest !

Regards,

Harmony

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Harmony,

I suspect either of the following cases with regard to you repository:

Case A. Repository unarchive might not have completed successfully.

Suggestion:

1. Try deleting and unarchiving the repository again. Wait for the dialog box confirmation from MDM saying-

Repository "<Repository Name>" was successfully unarchived. Do you want to see detailed report ?

Click 'No' to avoid seeing the report.

Then your repository will be listed in the Console hierarchy with a gray square indicating that the repository is outdated.

2. Right click on the outdated repository and click "Update Repository".

3. Click on "Yes" in the confirmation dialog.

4. A confirmation dialog opens intimating about the successful update operation.

5. Now you can connect to your updated repository with the user name and password credentials.

Case B. Repository might be already updated.

Reason: If you are able to connect to the repository with login credentials then it suggests that the repository might already have been updated.

Please let me know if neither of the above cases are true to you.

Regards

Uday

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harmony

When I updated my repository in MDM Version 5.5 to MDM Version 7.1.2, I needed execute this operation. When I updated MDM Version 7.1.2 to MDM Version 7.1.4, this operation wasn't necessary. Please, what your original MDM Version, and what is the new MDM Version?

Regards,

Vassoler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My Original MDM Version is 5.5 SP6 and current is 7.1 SP6

Regards,

Harmony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harmony

It's very strange, but you get Load your repository?

You tried repeat Unarchive operation?

Your archive file was generated in SAP MDM 5.5, and you unarchived it in SAP MDM 7.1?

Regards

Vassoler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harmony,

Please follow below steps :

Steps involved in the MDM 7.1 Upgradation

1. Installation of MDM 7.1 in Dev Environment

2. Archive MDM 5.5 repository from the Production system

3. Unarchive the repository in the Dev system

4. Update repository in the Dev

5. Update and Test Import Maps

6. Update and Test Syndication Maps

7. Testing at the Portal level

8. Java API upgrade and check the custom made functionalities with API in the repository

9. CLIX Command Scripts need to be reworked

10. MDM ports to be reworked with the help of repository schema

11. Import the repository schema to the production environment after installation of 7.1 in production system.

12. Transportation from Dev to Production of JAVA API, CLIX

Others Activities which need to be Noted/Performed

MDM Servers

Installed in different directory

MDM Archive Files

Archive files to be copied to the new directory

MDM GUI Client

Different Installation directory

MDM Log files:

5.5 Version is XML based

7.1 version is CSV based

MDM 7.1 doesnu2019t support the log format of 5.5 version.

Copy the files from the u2018logu2019 and u2018report folderu2019 to an extra folder together with MDM_log.xsl, which allows viewing of logs from the browser

Distribution Folder content

Copy the files from the 5.5 directory to the new directory

MDM Server Setting

Mds.ini parameter settings to be checked.

Some parameters are obsolete, some parameters are replaced with newer one

MDM Import Server Settings

Mdis.ini parameters need to be checked

MDM Syndication server setting

Mdss.ini setting to be checked.

Transfer the settings of

SLD Registration u2013 Reuse the MDM 5.5 SLD Registration

Wily Instrumentation

Wily Instrumentation level Threshold

MDM Java API activities

Deploy the 7.1 Java APIs and test the existing Java programs running for the repository

Checking the MDM Compatability with WebSphere Portal

Uninstallation of MDM 5.5 SP06 (Optional)

Thanks and Regards

Praful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Praful,

Thanks for summing- up the entire "Upgrade Guide".

I have gone through the guide already , and my question belongs to one of them, Your point # 4 is actually my question.

How do i "Update the Repository" ? it is greyed out and not giving any option to choose " Update Repository " by right click.

Regards,

Harmony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harmony,

Please find below contents if it helps you

Updating an MDM Repository

An MDM repository becomes outdated when you install an updated version of the MDM software and the updated software requires changes to the underlying schema that MDM uses to store the repository information within the SQL database.

When the new version of MDM requires schema changes in an existing MDM repository, the repository status icon (shown at left) is a gray square, indicating that the repository is outdated.

You can use the Update command to update the schema structure of an outdated MDM repository to the current version of the MDM software.

NOTE - Not all MDM updates involve schema changes. To find out whether the latest release of MDM requires an update to the MDM repository u2013 and if it does, how much time it will take u2013 be sure to read the release notes that are distributed with the new software.

NOTE - You cannot load an outdated MDM repository.

CAUTION - It is strongly recommended that you duplicate or backup an outdated MDM repository prior to updating it, as described in u201CDuplicating an MDM Repositoryu201D and u201CBacking Up and Restoring a Repositoryu201D.

When you update an MDM repository, MDM automatically generates a report file, which you can view when the process is complete.

To update an outdated MDM repository (gray square):

1 In the Console Hierarchy tree, right-click on the MDM repository you want to update and choose Update Repository from the context menu, or select the tree node and choose Repositories > Update from the main menu.

2MDM prompts you to confirm that you really want to update the repository. Click Yes to update the repository.

3MDM updates the repository.

4When the update process is complete, MDM displays a message dialog indicating whether or not the update was successful. Click OK to close the dialog.

NOTE - An MDM repository might not update successfully if the underlying databases have been modified by an application other than MDM.