cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Universe Designer display the star schema for SAP BW cube?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anybody can tell me Can Universe Designer (XI3.1)display the star schema for SAP BW cube?

designer use the sap bw query or cude as the olap universe ,but can explore the dimesion tables and fact table used to build the cube?

In addtion,have any difference when install the webi rich client via software package and via infoview ? The installation via software package need db middleware or some others configration ?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you have 2 main options in the XI 3.1 release:

- you can create multi-dimensional Universes on top of BEx queries

- you can use Data Federator and create a SQL based Universe on top of SAP BW InfoProviders.

see here:

/people/thomas.zurek/blog/2009/03/06/sql-access-to-bw-via-data-federator

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try it ,thx.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jennifer,

Your licensing agreement with SAP won't allow it.

It would be a great thing to be able to do, especially if you have a good experience in developing universes from star schemas over databases in the past. The BW model is a snowflake schema, that would readily lend itself to a universe as you are hinting at.

It's certainly something I'd look forward to going on the list for possibilities in the future - if nothing else it cuts out an extra trance of development to bring together Bex queries and other data providers.

I'd like to see OLAP and database reporting hit a demarcation point where you can in future put a universe over a BW data model and leave the cubes to work with polestar/business explorer.

So, no

former_member193430
Participant
0 Kudos

I agree with you there is not Shema or tables shows in the right pan, but you can still run the Integrity check to parse the objects and conditions only. Other thing that I found intresting is to refresh the structure, since you cannot validate if there is any change in the data source. Beside that you can still able to create prompts.

Toor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer,

!!! Wish you Happy Women's Day !!!

Universe designer doesn't display any Schema*(Joins and tables) on the structure pane when universe is based on SAP BW or OLAP cube.

In the universe we will only be able to see the classes and objects and these classes and objects are not created at universe level but created at cube level only.

Dimension Table and Fact tables can be explored at cube level or SAP BW query level only.

There is no difference in installing Web Intelligence Rich client(WRC) via infoview or software package.

Both serves the same purpose;)

Installation via software does not require any kind of db middleware or configuration.

You can also install WebI Rich client using the steps given below.....

1. Login to infoview from the client machine.

2. Click on Preferences.

3. Expand the Web Intelligence Section.

4. Locate the sub section "Select a default creation/editing tool".

5. Here you will find a "Install Now" button just on the right of the Desktop option.

6. Click on "Install Now" and Web Intelligence Rich Client will get installed.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

SandS

Former Member
0 Kudos

1/ The BW structure is essentially a snowflake schema, normalised using SIDs. There is no reason why you couldn't point universe designer straight at it and longer term I'd be surprised if SAP don't consider this as an option. Treat cubes as something separate - they are tightly bound aggregates of the BW data and are reported over as is. I understand that the problem at the moment is that although it's technically possible, I'd reckon that you'll invalidation your licence because you need to go through the SAP integration kit.

2/ No different. It's not like the old days of ZABO v three-tier Full Client BO. It's the same install file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

The integration kit for SAP is ok, but still display olap universe but table and structure.......