cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ArchiveLink vs OpenText Ixos and AxsOne Archiving solution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Archiving expert,

I'm newbie on the SAp archiving and currently i would like to know the different between SAP archivelink and OpenText Ixos archiving solution.

Because currently our organization in the midst of studing the benefit of these 3 solution.So i would like to know anyone have any idea what the different and the benefit of Archiving using SAP solution or 3 party software.

From the management concern will be, the amount of investment on third-party software will bring back of Return of Investment. and also cutdown the operational cost.

SO plesae kindly advise on this.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes , archiving is the best option to increase the performance and reducing the data maintenance cost.as u might be knowing the maintenance of SAP database is very expensive and that is why nowadays somany third party tools are available in the market and now are becoming popular to archive SAP data.

some of the third parties which i knew are documentum,filenet,IBM open text etc--- which are exclusively document management systems and are successful so far.

hope this helps!

• assign points if useful**

Ravi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yeong,

Actually ArchiveLink is not really a product from SAP, but rather a published application and technical interface specification which allows external content servers to serve SAP applications. With this interface you can store (archive) data files (for ADK based data archiving or DART) and documents that need to be accessed in the context of SAP transactions, on external repositories and not tax your SAP database or file system.

There are large # of vendors who are certified for ArchvieLink interface. SAP offers its own free "Content Server" which exposes ArchiveLink interface and supports file based (as of 6.30) or SAP DB based content repository. Generally third-party products are useful when there is a legal/business need to store critical documents on "read-only" media like optical or HD WORMs (e.g. Centera/NetApp/DR550) and a higher degree of fail-over and scalability is desired.

Some other excellent options are IBM CommonStore and PBS ContentLink.

It comes down to your budget, existing IT support infrastructure needs and the type of applications you need to archive enable. Essentially ArchiveLink is ArchiveLink is ArchvieLink, no matter who implements it

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a basic overview of my options for storing employee photos and other scanned documents. I need a quick and simple solution that will integrate with our existing SAP HR module. I'd like to have links appear on an employee's record (i.e. PA20 or something, and perhaps via the portal/MSS down the road).

We will scan the documents ourselves, and we already have 1000s of employee photos stored electronically.

Unfortunately, I don't know the first place to start. Could anyone give me any overview you can about how to get started with this? What I'd specifically like to know is:

Do scanned documents need to be stored in a certain directory structure?

Can any windows path suffice (e.g. c:\EmployeeDocs\miscForms\) ?

Does it matter if the documents are saved as PDFs or some other format?

Should photos be saved in a particular format?

Any help or reference to a tutorial would be appreciated. I'd like to start having our documents scanned immediately while I continue to flesh out the access/retrieval details, but I don't know how, where, or what format to save them in.

Thanks,

Nat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vishal

Have you managed to use either IBM CommonStore or PBS ContentLink? If so how do they compare with the OpenText solution?

regards

Paul