Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Provider

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.What are the data providers in WEBI.

2.WEBI&DESKI. which one is better to use?

Please any one help me....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.What are the data providers in WEBI.

To create reports in webintelligence, can use only UNIVERSE as a dataprovider. Web Intelligence supports only Universe.

Desk top Intelligence supports differnt type of data providers.

1.Universe

2.Free Hand SQL

3.Stored Procedure

4.Personal data file(like excel, doc)

5.XML and

6.VB application Procedures

2.WEBI & DESKI. which one is better to use?

Deski Reports: These are standard .rep files created from the full client (Desktop Intelligence) and these reports can be built using all the tools/options available in BO.

These deski reports can be viewed in the Infoview/Web Intelligence but cannot be modified.

Webi Reports:These are .wid files created using the WEBI XI, and these reports can use limited tools/options available in BO(ref. comparison document on the BO website for complete difference on Webi and Deski reports).These reports can be built and viewed and modified/created using Infoview/Web Intelligence.

My opinion is webi is better to use.

Thank you.

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

slight correction: WebI supports Universes and also personal data providers in XI3 (e.g. Excel files).

From BI4.0 WebI will be able to connect to Universes, personal data providers, BEx queries, Web Services and Analysis views (i.e. outputs of data retrieved with the Analysis tool).

In the long run, an investment in WebI is more secure than an investment in DeskI as the latter will not be ported to BI4.0.

Best regards

PPaolo

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Web Intelligence support only Universe.

Desk top Intelligence supports differnt type of data

providers.

1:Free hand SQL

2:Stored procers

3.universe

All the best

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

1 Webi data providers are universes (you can adapt a universe query to write your own SQL though). Deski has more options, such as personal data providers and genuine freehand SQL.

2 Webi is better in the long term - Deski is not in XI4.0 Both have advantages over each other at the moment.