cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SGEN is running for long time

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a fresher in SAP-Basis. I have installed a fresh ECC 6.0 server.As post installation activity I have run SGEN & sceduled it as background job. But it is taking long time to execute. more than one day.What should I do? suggest me.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should see the status of the Job and your CPU as well as memory utilization. It's all depends on the Hardware.

Regards,

Subhash

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As said by many others.SGEN can be fastened by using parallel process.Configure paralle_generators group in rz12 if you app servers.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check whether database is having sufficient space and also make sure the statisitics is updated in the database.

-Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have seen SGEN taking 10 days full time on a laptop and 3 hours on a real SAP production system with several app servers...

Your mileage may vary....

But that is one reason why running SAP software on personal computers is a bad idea.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Normally, compilation programs run in dialog work processes. So if you have a few dialog processes (for example, after finishing a new installation) the job may take a while. It is a good advise to increase the number of dialog wp before sending the SGEN.

Regards...

Edited by: alejovw on Mar 1, 2011 4:36 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there may be many reasons like CPU's, Database stats run before SGEN etc. for the slow rate for completing SGEN, but nothing to worry.

Be patient until it gives you any error. always check in sm37 for status.

Regards,

Dipesh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have less than 4 CPUs on the box it's normal that it takes a day or more.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Usually SGEN takes lot of time. Did the job fail any time or is it still running?

Did the system hang or is it working fine? If the system has hung and you are not able to login in. CHeck the archive log directory, most of the time this filled up quickly during the SGEN.

Regards,

Vamshi.

ImtiazKaredia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please update your database statistics.

This can be most important reason for the slow performance.

former_member256254
Participant
0 Kudos

Update your database statistics.

If you didn't perform it during installation, this will severly reduce SGEN performance