cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between info source and data source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the major diff between infosource and datasource and is it necessary for infosource and datasource to be present in BI7 ??

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi apeetha,

I believed you were just exploring SCM/APO :D...Anyways, an INFOSOURCE describes the quantity of all the data available for a buisness transaction - or simple a consolidated data for updating the data targets (usually contains tx data or master data)

while DATASOURCE supply the metadata description of source data. They are used to extract data from a source system and to transfer the data to the BI system. They are also used for direct access to the source data from the BI system.

To further explain - a DataSource is assigned to an InfoSource. If fields that logically belong together exist in various source systems, they can be grouped together into a single InfoSource in BW, in which multiple DataSources can be assigned to an InfoSource.

You can refer to the link provided to further details of what I've said. Thanks.

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/90/64553c845ba02de10000000a114084/content.htm]

Cheers!

former_member220487
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In simple language,

Data Source - is a metadata in the source system (replicated in Target system). The struture & the data is extracted via Datasource.

Infosource - is the structure to link datasource with the communication structure (in the target system).

hope this helps.

Regards,

Nawanit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Apeetha,

Data source which shows the table schema( set of fields) that to transfer to SAP BI/BW. Where in BI, we will replicate the Data source once it is created in R/3.

Infosource which shows the combination of inoobjects used for joining two tansformations.

The Data source and infosource both doesn't store any data.

In BI 7, The use of Infosource is not mandatary but in BW 3.5 the infosource is mandatory.

Hope this clarifies.

[Mohan|http://fontstyles.blogspot.com]