cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We currently have our R/3 4.6C running on Oracle 10.2.0.4 . Our requirement is to upgrade this to ECC 6.0. But the problem there is we need to decommision the existing servers on which SAP is runnig .Ours is a distributed environment in which DB runs on separate Box . What will be the best approach that we can follow ? System Copy + upgrade and bring up servers on new box?? SInce I will be a ble to reuse the DB, can i use the current DB and do a fresh ECC 6.0 installation (is it advisible ??)

Please give the possible options

Thanks

A

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would first upgrade the server and then make a system copy of it on new server. Don't use fresh installation approach.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny

Thanks for your reply . Any specific reason you tell this ? Did you mean we should split it into 2 steps ..1) upgrade 2) system copy

Also remeber this need to be done for production as well. Will system copy be adviced for PRD ?? I dont think SAP suggest so

and thats my confusion

Management here is very much afraid to give down time

Anish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you migrating to the same O/S ?

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

Yes it is SUNOS 5.8 . We will need to do a unicode conversion as well.

Thanks

Anish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As previousley mentioned.....

I would upgrade first, run with it for a while to flush out anything that pops up....

Then start your Unicode project,run all pre Unicode conversion routines / programs.

Then Export your database for the new environment because the Unicode conversion is done at that step.

alternatively SAP does a supported Upgrade/Unicode conversion method...

Oh, I would run this on a test server a few times to build up knowledge and timings for cut over....

This needs a bit of planning and testing...Good luck

Take a look at :

https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/unicode

Mark

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes it is SUNOS 5.8 . We will need to do a unicode conversion as well.

Keep in mind that Solaris 8 is out of support since 2009:

Note 1174174 - Solaris: End of Support Dates

Also keep in mind that the normal maintenance for Oracle 10.x ends at july 2011:

Note 1339724 - Oracle 10.2 Extended Support free until July 31, 2011

Since ERP 6.0 and higher is not supported on Solaris 8 you will have to do the upgrade and the UC-migration on a higher operating system version.

So I would

- copy the database to a new server running Solaris 10 with Oracle 10.x

- run the unicode migration preparation on 4.6c (SPUM4 et al)

- upgrade the system to ERP 6.0 (plus EHP4 if you want to be on the highest level)

- export the database

- uninstall 10g

- install 11g and import the database

After that you are on ERP 6.0 with EHP4 Unicode on a supported database and OS level.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark and Markus

Thanks for your suggestion ...Much Appreciated

But I have some problem here

1) In DEV DB instance and SAP CI run on same host

2) In QAT DB and CI are on separate host

3)IN PRD there is cluster setup

Sounds confusing to me .Seems this installation was done long back except for the upgrade to 10g.So I dont have a play ground where I can learn this

Do you suggest any documentation from SAP for this ? and I dont have much experience in 4.6C Since it is a unicode system I also need to do a CUUC as per my understanding

Thanks

Anish

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Do you suggest any documentation from SAP for this ? and I dont have much experience in 4.6C

4.6c didn't exist as Unicode version.

> Since it is a unicode system I also need to do a CUUC as per my understanding

Depends what you want to do with it. You have to migrate to Unicode if

- you plan to connect Java systems (such as an Enterprise Portal)

- you have more than one codepage in your current 4.6c (MDMP setup)

You have new hardware or you plan to continue to use the old one?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

In this landscape we have only one BI 7.0(ABAP only) system in addition to this R/3 4.6 C which is mainly used for reporting purpose.

Yes we are planning to scrap the current hardware (for SAP servers only and not DB) and need to build on new hardware.

So in my case the difficulty is if I need to reuse the DB and hosts where it resides in QAT and PRD.

Hope what I am saying make sense to you

Thanks

Anish

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes we are planning to scrap the current hardware (for SAP servers only and not DB) and need to build on new hardware.

So you plan to keep the Solaris 8 running on that hardware?

>> So in my case the difficulty is if I need to reuse the DB and hosts where it resides in QAT and PRD.

> Hope what I am saying make sense to you

Well - honestly not really, there seems to come new aspects each time I ask for more details

I suggest you get a good SAP Basis consultant on-site and create a project plan.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

hehe Thanks I understand it...Will try to get more details ..

Thanks

Anish

Answers (0)